Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Would you watch a Tintin Live-Action Web Series?

NighthawkF117
#1 · Posted: 10 Jan 2018 18:28
With Spielberg and Jackson super busy, and the high difficulties of creating motion capture movies, I was wondering about the possibility of bringing Tintin to a new medium (after their own trilogy is complete, of course).

Today, Live-action original Netflix or Amazon TV has very high production values. Perhaps Tintin could be conducive to this.

If I were to be doing it, I would focus less on the high adventure and more on darker, grittier version of his least-adapted adventures and most overlooked parts. For example, the first part would be an origin story, showing his life as he joins the paper as an ambitious reporter, eager to prove himself, or perhaps simply as a poor but bold orphan looking for a job. It would explore his own character development as he braves the harsh conditions of his first assignment in Russia, gradually developing his skills rather than them being pre-built. It would chronicle his first encounter with a small white dog on the streets of Moscow. While Tintin is initially annoyed by this dog, it later secretly follows and then saves his life in the snowy russian tundra, while almost freezing to death itself, leading Tintin to give it its iconic name.

Just a few ideas for how this might go.

How would you like to see such a thing? How would you do it?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 11 Jan 2018 22:59
I'd watch a live action series if it was good - it wouldn't matter to me if it was on the web (do you mean streaming?). Quality would be the thresh-hold for me, so it could be any broadcaster really, preferably free to air.

I don't see the point in taking a "gritty" approach: the original material is too light-hearted and full of innocent fun to jettison that in favour of a direction they never took.
It would - to me - be better to develop a new character and make their series, than to bend an existing one so far out of shape.

I'm also not that interested in finding out a "back-story" for the characters; fine, if it had been integral in some way to the series (Superman's planet explodes, and he is rocketed to Earth as a baby - fine; Bruce Wayne's parents are gunned down, and he vows to dedicate his life to opposing crime - fine, etc.), but I've never read the books and ever thought anything about Tintin's background or family - he just does what he does. Leaving it that way means that anyone else can live with whatever picture they have (or don't have) too, which actually probably gives the series greater rather than lesser appeal.

It's also worth remarking that we have a general policy not to carry fan-fiction here, so while a very few words here and there to suggest a possible way an adaptation might develop is one thing, it's best to avoid developing anything approaching a detailed scenario, as we will only have to edit or remove the post! :-)
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 16 Jan 2018 20:29
I think this is a good idea though like Jock 123 says
jock123:
I don't see the point in taking a "gritty" approach: the original material is too light-hearted and full of innocent fun to jettison that in favour of a direction they never took.

This would be in my eyes and to many others unacceptable.

Though I think I would prefer a really nice documentary series.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!