Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: Bits they cut out of adaptations

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 3 Jul 2005 22:28
I'd like everybody to point out what they miss in the catoons, that is in the books.

They change a lot for Tintin in America: in the book, Bobby Smiles is fighting Al Capone, but in the cartoon they are buddies.
In Destination Moon they miss out the bit where Tintin goes up the mountain and there are all the bears.
In Cigars of the Pharaoh they miss out the poet.
The Blue Lotus: Mr Lee works for Wang Chang, but in the book he works for Mitsuhirato.
Ottokar's Sceptre: in the book Tintin goes to a shop window and works out how the sceptre was launched
The Shooting Star: they miss Captain Haddock and Captain Chester being reunited.

Moderator note: This is an interesting post, but you have made it very hard to read by including almost no punctuation; please use standard English, and write with upper- and lower-case letters! Thanks!
We've tried to work out what you were saying, and have edited the message as a result.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 4 Jul 2005 02:20
This is an interesting topic but there are so many things that are in the books but not the TV series.
Many of them are small and don't make much or any difference.
I really enjoyed the series and thought they did well but I would have appreciated the more exciting moments to not be dumbed down and for Captain Haddock to actually be able to get drunk and smoke.
It's not like Hergé was advocating this behaviour to kids!
It was more a character trait that was shown in a humourous light.
Danagasta
#3 · Posted: 4 Jul 2005 04:40
Generally, I thought the Nelvana cartoons were hurried, put together too quickly in order to meet a deadline.
Had they worked for another year or so, I think there would be nothing cut out whatsoever.
The art was shaky, especially for hand-drawn cel animation, and after inspecting frame by frame, it's obvious that much effort wasn't put into the series.
I enjoyed it as a kid though - mostly because I didn't have Paul Falcone's production classes and didn't think about the technical aspects of the series the way I do now.
If Ellipse-Nelvana were to take two years and redo the entire series with more modern technology, such as using key-frames (example: you'd have to draw maybe 12 by hand instead of 24 for one second of celluloid film - a computer program recognizes and fills in the missing frames.)
The hand-drawn cels would remain, but the animators and artists could spend much more time on making their work look more polished.

Courtney
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 4 Jul 2005 05:04
Hmmm... Like using a program similar to Flash to recreate the series?
I thought they did well. They didn't have the biggest budget (strangley enough) and they didn't have much time (probably the producers fault). You have to remember much more money is spent on single cartoon shows nowadays than some years ago. I do agree with you but there are still many positives. And they are much better than the blasphemey which are Belvisions adaptions!
Karaboudjan
#5 · Posted: 4 Jul 2005 11:44
They didn't so much cut bits out of The Calculus Affair as completely muck around with it, creating an entirely new story.
Jyrki21
#6 · Posted: 4 Jul 2005 18:50
They didn't so much cut bits out of The Calculus Affair as completely muck around with it, creating an entirely new story.

I agree... this was immediately the first that came to mind for me. I don't see any reason -- dumbing down or otherwise -- to have made Calculus not kidnapped at the point where he is in the book, nor any reason to exclude the Syldavians altogether.
Danagasta
#7 · Posted: 4 Jul 2005 19:43
Hmmm... Like using a program similar to Flash to recreate the series?
It's actually not even related to Flash--most I've seen use Adobe AfterEffects to fill in keyframes, and there are always the Pixar programs. But it does work sort of like that, only that Flash is compressed whereas this wouldn't be too much.

The Belvisions are nonexistent here, so I don't really know. If you know where I could get some MPEG video of it, I could see at least a small part and know what its pros and cons are, at least technical ones anyway. I may be able to make a better comparison that way. In the meantime, I'll search and see if I can find it on my own. Tintin stuff is VERY VERY expensive and almost impossible to find here.....

Courtney
jockosjungle
#8 · Posted: 4 Jul 2005 20:17
I always thought that the series was too cut, it kept to the story OK but cut out anything that was unnecessary.

Seems silly really as they could have stretched many of them to three parters without having to add extra storyline.

Rik
varun0883
#9 · Posted: 5 Jul 2005 13:49
In tintin in tibet ellipse-nellavana have omitted tintin's entire visit and his brief stay in delhi.important scenes like delhi airport,market,and tourist visit scenes are missing!
jockosjungle
#10 · Posted: 5 Jul 2005 15:58
Exactly Varun! Good parts of the story have been cut out because they didn't directly advance the plot to rescue Chang!

Rik

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!