Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin Black and White Facsimiles: General discussion

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Harrock n roll
#41 · Posted: 24 Nov 2004 13:33
Now if only the covers weren’t that rather peculiar yellow colour, I’d be really happy...

Me too, although I see them as mustard - various shades from Dijon to English. I wondered why Casterman didn't use the Petit Vingtiéme cover for America from 1932 instead of the Casterman reprint cover but I suppose this would have negated the use of colour plates as the original PV edition didn't have them. Referring to Tintin : Noir Sur Blanc it appears that our translation of America is a facsimile of the first Casterman edition from 1937 because it has no pagination ;)
Richard
UK Correspondent
#42 · Posted: 24 Nov 2004 17:05
Also, as a less technical reason, they're being done as a series, so I suppose they want them to all look similar. Plus the cover of this edition is the same as the French facsimile edition readily available ; the 1932 cover was only used in its first facsimile edition, I think (can anyone confirm this ?).

All of the new foreign editions, it seems, employ the yellow variant of the cover. They've recently been issued in Chinese for the first time (the label of "facsimile", as sordel68 pointed out, is getting more and more stretched), and the Spanish reprints likewise use the same colour.

I think one thing we can be thankful for is that the English editions are full-size ; Casterman seem to be cutting corners a little and shrinking them down to half the size of the originals. They might be easier to hold, but it defeats the nature of a "facsimile" even more, and reduces the beautiful black and white art down to half its original size.
Harrock n roll
#43 · Posted: 24 Nov 2004 18:02
the 1932 cover was only used in its first facsimile edition, I think (can anyone confirm this ?)

From my research the 1932 Petit Vingtième cover facsimile was released in 1983 and the 1937 mustard-coloured version in 1995.

I spotted those Chinese editions too and I agree with you that we should be glad that our editions are full size but I quite like the printed spines on them even if it does contradict the nature of a facsimile. This photo of Lotus shows it also has page numbers. I'd prefer to have both versions - call me greedy!
jock123
#44 · Posted: 24 Nov 2004 22:47
Harrock n roll
call me greedy!

Chris, you’re greedy! ;-)

They do look nice, those Chinese books - the quality of the paper looks better too (although less “authentic”).
Richard
UK Correspondent
#45 · Posted: 25 Nov 2004 00:28
Although is that down to the fact the books are smaller, so the paper appears stiffer ? I haven't got one of the new English editions, just the French ones, but the paper quality in those seem fine. I have a Spanish black and white edition of "The Blue Lotus", and the paper quality is quite poor (just a bit above newspaper), although probably more authentic.

The quality of the old English editions of Soviets and Congo seems fairly good, although my Soviets, however, is starting to yellow already, even though it's only seven years old or so. The French facsimiles I've got, published in the late 80s, are still bright and unaged. Curious. What's the paper quality like for the new English Congo and America ?
jockosjungle
#46 · Posted: 27 Nov 2004 07:43
The paper is rather course and rough to be honest. Not great quality but probably quite authentic

Rik
heruursmith
#47 · Posted: 7 Oct 2005 22:10
I was wondering if I can ask a question regarding the Last Gasp B&W facsimiles. I am wondering if they have done a version of "Tintin in the Congo" with the mustard cover and the four colour plates throughout it, or whether they have just done a reprint of the older larger "Petit Vingtieme" version with the green cloth spine and without the four colour plates throughout?

I ask, because I thought I saw a copy of the one with the colour plates in english here (in New Zealand) in a bookshop recently but cannot track it down now. Can anyone please help? I would like to have both versions in English (I already have the older "Petit Vingtieme") to be a completist obssessive fan! LOL.

Thanks

Kamael
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#48 · Posted: 8 Oct 2005 10:47
It's a facsimile of the Petit XXe version, actually.

I've never heard of an English version of the 'colour-plate' Congo, although if I do come across one, I shall let you know ! :o) The French version is available from Amazon.fr, if that would help at all ...
Harrock n roll
#49 · Posted: 8 Oct 2005 12:22
In fact there is an English facsimile of Tintin in the Congo (with colour plates) which heruursmith mentions. It was released last year at the same time as America. The (UK) Tintin Shop sells them but it appears to be out of stock at the moment.

One other distinction I think should be made; all of the English facsimiles have been commisioned and published by Casterman. Last Gasp have publishing rights to the US but have nothing at all to do with the commisioning or production of these books.

In future it might be better for us to ask Casterman for the release dates as Last Gasp are just as much at the mercy of their release schedules as we are :)
heruursmith
#50 · Posted: 8 Oct 2005 22:20
Thanks for both of your responses. I thought I must have imagined it, as I cannot find the "colour plate" version anywhere online - either to buy or even mentioned really. But I guess it must just be in need of another print perhaps? Or the shops may need a re-supply from the publishers maybe...

I have the french version (along with the rest of the B&W facsimile editions) but because my french is only at a limited school level I find it easier to read these books in english. Also it is probably a good idea as a collector to get all the editions in a range of books even if it does mean doubling up on some titles in different languages.

Thanks again,

Kamael

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!