Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Hergé: How is "Hergé" pronounced?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Karaboudjan
#1 · Posted: 21 Mar 2005 15:33
I forget which company did the infamous "Hergé's Adventures of Tintin" one, teaching a whole generation to pronounce the Master's name Her-jay when it's in fact Air-shay (a common mistake which drives me mad!).
Whoever they are, they have a lot to answer for!
tybaltstone
#2 · Posted: 21 Mar 2005 15:59
Can I own up to saying Herjay? I think it's fine for an English accent, the other (more correct, I agree) pronunciation is if you say it with a French accent... non?
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 21 Mar 2005 16:01
I have to admit to saying Herjay too, although whenever I did any speaking assignments for French which featured Tintin, it was always the French Air-shay (with the little throat noise slightly audible!).
tybaltstone
#4 · Posted: 21 Mar 2005 16:34
I just had reason to say Hergé on the phone (and that doesn't happen very often), and noticed that actually I do drop the "H"... Er-jay, probably my wife's influence...

Anyway...
jockosjungle
#5 · Posted: 21 Mar 2005 17:48
I hold up my hand to saying Her-jay, the way the announcer used to boom it out for Belvision, though wouldn't sound as good if he said Airjay.

I will continue to say it the way I have done otherwise I'd be opening up a can of worms and pronouncing all sort of Hergé related stuff in French (Tan-tan for example)

Rik
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#6 · Posted: 21 Mar 2005 18:11
I also say Air-shay, which just sort of happens without any thought.
I suppose if I didn't speak any French, I'd say Herjay, although I do say Tin-tin, rather than Tan-tan, so I'm a bit of a mixed batch ! :)
Aldora
#7 · Posted: 21 Mar 2005 21:18
I admit, I say air-shay sometimes, er-shay others and Herdge the rest,as in, "Her" ( "her name is...") then just "ge", (as in "dodge").
I didn't know people said it any other way until I saw Tintin & I, then I started saying er-shay...
Gerry Alanguilan
#8 · Posted: 12 Oct 2005 08:51
I admit, I say air-shay sometimes, er-shay others and "Herdge" the rest

I've been curious for a long time how "Hergé" is properly pronounced - and there are now so many different variations! Is it herj, or her-jay, or is it erj or er-jay?

Thanks!
Pilote
#9 · Posted: 12 Oct 2005 11:24
hair-sheh (the sheh is like the "j" in bonjour).
Danagasta
#10 · Posted: 21 Mar 2006 10:53
I always said it more of Air-zhay. And as for "Tintin", in French it comes out sounding like our Cherokee way of saying that someone's knocking on the door ("tv, tv..." - the "v" is our "uh" sound)so I use the English pronunciation.
Courtney

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!