Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin Black and White Facsimiles: General discussion

Page  Page 2 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Big Ren
#11 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 12:45
Forgive my ignorance, but what happened to Methuen? Did they lose the rights to Tintin? Or did Egmont buy Methuen?
jock123
#12 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 13:41
**Heavily revised!!**

I’ve been confused by this, so I gave it a bit of a Google, and discovered the following data.

Methuen appear to have divested themselves of all the children’s publishing they had, and no longer do Tintin, or Winnie-the-Pooh. Their site does not state why, but it does catalogue the titles (partly why I thought in the previous version of this post that they still published them through a division).
http://www.methuen.co.uk/index.shtml

Egmont are one of the largest Scandinavian publishing concerns, and produce many comics here and on the continent. Tintin would seem to fit quite comfortably into their portfolio, and I am sure they see comic strips as both important and worth nurturing.

http://www.egmont.com/
GurraJG
#13 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 15:33
The rights to Tintin in Sweden and Denmark (I think) are owned by Bonnier Carlsen. Egmont have the rights to a whole load of comic strips, such as Beetle Bailey, Peanuts, etc. as well as Donald Duck. As for Norway and Finland, I don't think that Bonnier have the rights, but I don't think that Egmont have them either. And, with that great amounts Tintin sell here in Sweden, and with the re-release of the albums, I don't think Bonier would like to throw away Tintin.

By the way, where is Egmont from? Is it Swedish, or English?

-Gustav
Big Ren
#14 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 16:19
Thanks jock123, looking at the websites they do seem to be separate companies (but could be, as you originally suggested, both owned by Megadodo publications!).

GurraJG, Egmont was started by a 17-year-old Dane named Egmont Harald Petersen in Copenhagen, Denmark in 1878. See here: http://www.egmont.co.uk/about.asp
And Alph-Art details here:
http://www.egmont.co.uk/bookdetails.asp?bookID=12317
jock123
#15 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 16:59
Maybe we have a situation where the rights came up for renewal, and Egmont outbid Methuen?

Anyway, if they are enthusiastic about comics, let’s hope that they publish the facsimiles too - that way they will get on the back cover of the standard books, and ordinary punters will be made interested, and get them too, and the whole Tintin market blossoms, and evreyone will be happy: the Megadodo money-men, the publishers, the public and Uncle Tom Cobley and all!

Now veering unexpectedly back on topic...

One publisher handling all the titles would allow for either the standardization of the entire range, or running two Tintin continuities in tandem, more easily than many companies having fingers in pies (I think that squeaked us back on track!).
ectoplasm
#16 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 18:03
Well, at least we're all talking about Egmont, which can't be a bad thing - hopefully someone there will tune into this discussion. Having reread my post, I gave three cheers for Last Gasp simply for promising to repring the black and white facsimiles; also because they stock a vast range of Tintin books in many languages, including a facsimile of the original Tintin magazine version of The Seven Crystal Balls/ Prisoners Of The Sun. Although I have to admit, I hadn't thought too much about whether or not they will actually deliver on their promise to reprint all the black and white books. If they don't, well, I've been suckered and will withdraw my praise for them. But I do know I have a Black and White copy of Tintin In the Congo on my shelf which got there because Last Gasp took a chance on reprinting it.

Secondly, I apologise sincerely for going off-topic and promise not to do it again after this post!

I would love one publisher to handle all the titles in English. Could not Egmont find out how many dedicated Tintin fans there are and then meet our demands with limited runs of facsimile's? There must be enough of us for a small print run of everything, or for sumptuous collector's editions, and Egmont should remember that by keeping us constantly buying Tintin stuff we're more likely to attract other fans, or remember to buy that nephew a Tintin book for their birthday. If we're excited about the product we're more likely to want to communicate that excitement to a new generation.

i stand by my comments about Egmont underpromoting Tintin; I admit, new rocket ship spinners have begun to appear in bookshops in the last month or two, but that aside, I don't think much of Egmont - compare what they've done for Tintin, in his 75th year, with the recent relaunch for Asterix! I see Asterix books everywhere, they have far more visibility than Tintin, which is criminal in a year when the Tintin phenomenon should be selling itself.

Okay, no more off-topic criticism of Egmont from me! thanks for reading.
GurraJG
#17 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 20:45
Oh, Danish...
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#18 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 21:14
Hello ectoplasm !

"I'd love a Tintin magazine facsimile (in English) of the Moon books, including the deleted scenes ..."

There is no French version of that, so I'm afraid you'll have to wait a very, very long time or to buy 2 or 3 years of Tintin magazines !!

"I'd love to buy facsimile's, in English, of the original black and white newspaper strips of 'Unicorn' and 'Red Rackham's "

Again here there is only some "illegal"versions of those treasures in French. In this case, the daily strips of newspaper "Le Soir" are very difficult to find !!
Frankymole
#19 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 22:47
Anyway, if they are enthusiastic about comics, let’s hope that they publish the facsimiles too - that way they will get on the back cover of the standard books, and ordinary punters will be made interested, and get them too

Rest assured, "Tintin... In The Land of the Soviets" already appears on the back of the Egmont hardbacks in England alongside the 21 "standard" books (no Alph-Art or Congo yet). Hopefully the cover of Congo will follow soon!
Harrock n roll
#20 · Posted: 2 Jun 2004 15:47
The fact that Egmont are to publish the colour version of Congo may be a good sign - they've been accused of keeping the Adventures of Tintin as exclusively a "children's market" which has made them unwilling to publish the B & W facsimiles - Congo wasn't originally published in English because Methuen deemed it unsuitable for children. Now of course the adventures are long established and they could always include some notes to put it into it's historical context. I think it was mentioned at the conference that when the B & W Congo was first put into English and published by Sundancer it did not receive one letter of complaint.

In a recent inteview that I did with Michael Turner and Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper I was told that they had been commisioned by Casterman to translate the forthcoming facsimiles and Alph-art. Michael Turner stressed that the Last Gasp editions had nothing to do with them - Last Gasp only own the US rights - and that Egmont were not going to handle them in the UK. To me this doesn't quite fit with their plans to release the colour Congo, so maybe they're having a change of heart?

Somebody really ought to handle them in the UK. It does seem an odd situation that the English translators are doing them only for them NOT to be published in England or any other English-speaking country, 'cept America.

Come on Egmont, give something back to the hardcore fans and lets see those facsimiles soon!

Page  Page 2 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!