Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

Jo, Zette & Jocko, and Quick & Flupke

GurraJG
#1 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 16:11
Today I borrowed two books called "Hergé: Selected Works" (in Swedish) from the library. Among those were 4 books about Jo, Zette and Jocko, as well as several Quick and Flupke. Now, I have some questions:

I know that 5 Jo, Zette and Jocko adventures were published. However, in the forward, there we pictures of another story called "Le Rayon du Mystere". This adventure seemed to be published in Le Petit Vingtième. Now, my question is: How many Jo, Zette and Jocko adventures were published, and when were they made?

Now, conserning Quick and Flupke. They seem to be just 2 page small slap-stick comic strips. Is that true, or I'm I just seeing things? Also, when where these "adventures" made?

Great many thanks to anyone who can answer.

-Gustav
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#2 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 19:49
"The Secret Ray" ("Le Rayon du Mystère") was first serialised in 1936-38 in black and white, then put into colour in 1952. It consists of two parts: "The Manitoba No-Reply" ("Le Manitoba ne repond plus") and "The Eruption of Karamako" ("L'Éruption du Karamako").
"The Stratoship H.22" also consists of two parts: "Mr Pump's Legacy" ("Le Testament de M. Pump") and "Destination New York". It was first serialised in 1938-39 in black and white, and put into colour in 1951.
"The Valley of the Cobras" was started in 1939 but abandoned during the German occupation of Belgium and France. It was revised and completed in colour in 1957.

Quick and Flupke are indeed just two-page jokes that were originally published in "Le Petit Vingtième" between 1930-40 and subsequently put into colour for "Tintin" magazine after the war.

Moderator Note: you can find more discussion on this topic here:
Jo, Zette & Jocko: Sequence of the books?
GurraJG
#3 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 20:39
Oh, so "The Secret Ray" is the name for the two first books put together... Well, that explains a lot. Thanks.

-Gustav
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 21:52
Check out my site on Jo, Zette and Jocko should answer anything you need to know http://members.lycos.co.uk/jockosjungle/

Yeh Q&F were just 2 page things, did two compilation albums in english called double troube and two of a kind, think they did much more in belgium

Rik
Big Ren
#5 · Posted: 1 Jun 2004 22:59
As far as I'm aware the colour versions of Quick & Flupke were six books 'Les exploits de Quick et Flupke' Recueils 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. These books were a smaller format than Tintin, 19.5cm x 26.5cm. Not sure when they were first published, but my copies are dated 1975.
Later (in the eighties?) the stories were republished in at least 10 full size format books with new covers and titles such as 'Pardon Madame' and 'Catastrophe'. Interestingly, not all of them bear Herge's name on the cover, which I take to mean that Fondation Herge had themselves produced new colour versions of more of the original b&w strips - certainly there is more material than in the original six Recueil books.
Two - 'Jeux Interdits' and 'Tout Va Bien' - were published in English in 1992 as 'Double Trouble' and 'Two of a Kind', respectively.

- Ren
SingingGandalf
#6 · Posted: 24 Mar 2006 20:28
the stories were republished in at least 10 full size format books with new covers and titles

It's 12 for anyone who wants to know, though there is some belief that Bob de Moor wrote the last two. I know they were actually given names, from 'recuil 3' etc. to proper tittles, but I didn't know that the material inside was changed.
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 25 Mar 2006 22:48
Quick and Flupke were first published in "Le Petit Vingtieme" from 23.1.1930 (310 stories. You can find five black and white albums (2 from "Editions du Petit Vingtieme, 3 from Casterman) edited in the 30'.
In "Le Soir Jeunesse" from 14.11.1940, 19.12.1940 and 16.1.1941, we had the opportunity to read three new stories. In "Tintin", we had 174 stories, of which 129 from "Le Petit Vingtieme". Between 1949 and 1969, 11 albums (166 stories in total) were published. Between 1975 and 1982, we have a new serie of six albums (178 stories in total).
The books you can find now in the shop contains a mix of new (published only in black and white) and old stories (in the color albums)(258 stories in total). The coloring was done (or re-done) by the Studio Herge and Johan De Moor (not Bob but his son).
Last detail: "Haute Tension" (nr 3) is the only Quick and Flupke book which contains only non Herge stories. The other 11 books have all Herge stories.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!