Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

3D Tintin poster: Tintin at Sea Exhibition (UK)

sij
#1 · Posted: 2 Jun 2004 22:27
Hi,

Hoping someone can assist with this query. Recently went to the Tintin at Sea exhibition at the National Maritime Museum. On display were 4 different 3D Tintin Cover posters, as you walked past them the book title changed between different languages - English, French, etc. Has anyone any idea where the posters/pictures could be purchased?
tybaltstone
#2 · Posted: 3 Jun 2004 09:57
Hello sij - I presumed those holographic (?) displays were made especially as an exhibit, not as something you could buy anywhere. They'd be nice on my wall though!
jock123
#3 · Posted: 3 Jun 2004 10:30
They are lovely, aren’t they? It’s a cruel trick that they are on the wall outside the shop, because it did make me think that they’d be for sale!

They use a lenticular system, where a grid of plastic lines is placed over a sheet which has been printed in corresponding sets of narrow bands, the prismatic quality of the plastic letting each eye see only one of the sets at a time, and as you move either it or yourself, the image changes slightly. It allows for “3D” pictures, or for an “action” to take place.

The new musical “The Woman in White” has some of their posters done in such a way that they appear to show an empty landscape at first, then as you go by a ghost appears to fade in - it’s very effective.

Hats off to the person who came up with that display at the museum - it’s a very novel and appropriate use of an effect.
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 3 Jun 2004 13:33
Yeh I was about to rush into the shop and buy a stack, they were definitely a really cool poster. It's not a paticularly hard effect to produce and you can get quite a few things like it, lots of posters are like it

Maybe they are available somewhere?

Rik

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!