Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

The Adventures of Tristan:

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

king
#1 · Posted: 14 Oct 2005 09:29
I'm new to this so I hope I'm not breaking any rules, but via an online comic site I found a full on line comic that is very Tintin-ish called The Adventures of Tristan, and basically my first thoughts were, if Tintin had a son, he'd be Tristan...
What do the rest of you think of the comic?

Moderator Note: Link to the comic page now added
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 6 Dec 2005 07:46
It can't be breaking the rules, if it's not Tintin.

King, I've never heard of the comic, but I'm checking it out and it definitely has the Hergé flavour.
Some frames look straight out of Tintin (the poses) but that's unavoidable when drawing in the linge-claire, bande desinée style.
The artist has a flair for drawing cars, and the comic samples look very decent.

Is the comic also available to buy in book form?
Good to see the artist is Australian. Nice to have some more local talent!

Thanks for the info, King.

--
[Moderator note: "Tristan" is not "Tintin", so no rules broken! It is perfectly okay to discuss Hergé-influenced works here; we just ask that members not link to/discuss where to find unauthorised Tintin-related stuff.
king
#3 · Posted: 7 Dec 2005 14:01
Hi, tintinrulz, I've heard through the grapevine that the story could appear in book form and may also appear in a newspaper soon but that's all I know, I'll keep you posted, meanwhile I have noticed that the Tristan (Tintin's son?) site has been updated. Rue du labrador's comment, you'd have to see Tintin's mum, is a very interesting point, I hope the writer of Tristan reads this, maybe he could introduce use to Tristan's mum? Hmmmm.... That's a challange.

Duplicate post removed
Post combined with message from another thread:

First time I saw this spot. Elsewhere I told of a site where I saw an e-comic story very much inspired by Tintin, (that's what I think), It's at Tristancomics.com ...in fact, I reckon that if Tintin had a son (sort of like son of Indiana Jones idea)then you'll find him at that site, anyone else care to see if I'm right on this idea? I kinda like the idea of the spirit of Tintin living on through his 'son' Tristan. That way the future is open to new stories.

[Moderator note: Hi, King - welcome to the forums. Please be careful in future not to make duplicate posts, and not to start new threads, when there are already others available - you seem to want to start a second "Son of Tintin" thread, when you already have made this one! Your message has been moved from there to here, and the second thread closed. Regards,
The Happy Tintinologist Team]
jock123
#4 · Posted: 7 Dec 2005 15:08
It looks quite good, but I’m more than a little concerned by the way in which the “baddie” is made to look disturbingly anti-Semitic… I think the artist could well have steered away from that.

I’m sorry too that there isn’t a bit more story to try - the drawing is nice, but I’d want to know that the book made an interesting read before buying it, I think.
tybaltstone
#5 · Posted: 7 Dec 2005 15:19
I read Tristan quite a while ago and got a good read from it (I was far more impressed with the author's architectural drawings which are astonishing). I was going to say, jock, how can someone look anti-semetic; they can look Jewish with no problems... but then I had another look and think it is teetering close to the mark! Baddies must shave more often though, it gives the game away!

The style of Tintin is very closely adhered to, and it's an enjoyable-looking comic. If it was free on the web I would definitely follow it, not quite enough for me to pay money for, I'm afraid.

Oh - and I love the description of it as Tintin's son, fits quite well, I think!
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 7 Dec 2005 15:34
It would be nice if there was at least a page sample to view. Its hard to judge the story telling merits of the comic when you only have three or so frames of action and then the obligatory: "buy the comic and find out why they are doing X,Y and Z!"
tybaltstone
#7 · Posted: 7 Dec 2005 15:45
You can download four chapters in Flash (swf) format, tintrulz.
jock123
#8 · Posted: 7 Dec 2005 16:23
tybaltstone
I was going to say, jock, how can someone look anti-semetic

You’re quite right, of course, Garen - it wasn’t particularly well-phrased on my part.

What I was trying to say (badly) was that the Mad Cartel Boss character appears to have been drawn in a manner used to depict Jews in the past in an anti-Semitic way. The stereotypical swarthy, fat, hooked-nosed villain was a stock character from the Middle Ages onward - I had rather hoped we would have moved on from that in something available in the early 21st Century…
tybaltstone
#9 · Posted: 7 Dec 2005 17:47
Apologies for the pedantry, I knew what you meant, of course :-)

I know this is moving away from the subject, but there is a difficult line involved today in depicting certain types of people. Does this mean you cannot have a person of Jewish descent as a villain? Or, if you do, must you make sure to balance them out by having a Jewish hero in the same story? I personally think that's silly. But what you should make sure you do is not characterise in a seemingly negative way, which I agree has happened here (Tristan). Though I am sure, like Hergé's Bohlwinkel (except that was in a more naive age, and actually less of a characterisation) it is unintentional, and perhaps through just a lack of thought.

You gotta be careful! You gotta be good.
Tintinrulz
#10 · Posted: 7 Dec 2005 23:54
Ok thanks Tybaltstone. But where can I download these four chapters in Flash? The website doesn't clue me in where to look.

Thanks

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!