Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

The Thom(p)sons: Who coined the term "Thom(p)son Twins"?

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

jock123
#31 · Posted: 15 Dec 2005 12:44
doubleT
How can we be sure that they are not related, I mean Hergé never said any thing about that, did he?

Actually, if you read the thread through, you will see that Hergé's comment on this - from Tintin et Moi - is actually mentioned.

Anyway, while it is certainly good to have people taking an active interest in the forums, and thanks for taking the time to comment, it is probably best not to bump up such old threads unless there really is something new to be said which nobody has mentioned before.

Reading it back, it can be said that the thread had also drifted a bit.

My original question was not as to whether the detectives were twins - or even brothers - or not.

I was trying to establish just where calling them The Thompson Twins originated.

The best answer so far seems to be the Explorers comment by Snowy, where in the original he refers to them in the French original as "Brothers" (using the English word), in the manner of a circus act.
"Thompson Twins" perhaps seemed more appealing to MT&LL-C, as there is alliteration.
Mark Falconer
#32 · Posted: 1 Jun 2007 04:56
In Land of Black Gold, somebody says, "Have you seen the heavenly twins? I can't find them." referring to the Thom(p)sons when the storm is up.
I don't think he's Tintin, as his nose is a little large, and he is called "Mr Mate" by the Thom(p)sons. (p. 13)

If it was Tintin, well, he probably knew by then? If it was somebody else who worked on the ship (but why would he care about them?) - did he know, was he fooled, was he being facetious, or just saying so out of convenience?

And I've always had the feeling there that "heavenly" is probably a rare bad translation! Or perhaps one all-too literal?
Balthazar
#33 · Posted: 1 Jun 2007 10:01
Mark Falconer
I've always had the feeling there that "heavenly" is probably a rare bad translation!
The sailor is using the established phrase "heavenly twins" ironically, as people sometimes do when talking about a less than heavenly pair of brothers or inseperable friends. So I don't think it's bad translation, but a good bit of witty dialogue (either by Hergé or his translators - I don't know if it's in the original French language version).
Like much else in the Tintin books, it's a classical reference. The original Heavenly Twins were Castor and Pollux, the semi-divine sons of Leda and Zeus (in swan mode), and brothers of Helen (of Troy). They're "heavenly" because their father was a god (top god indeed) and because Castor and Pollux are stars in the heavens - making up the constellation of Gemini.
Mark Falconer
#34 · Posted: 1 Jun 2007 15:34
Ah, didn't get the reference...
pokemon
#35 · Posted: 22 Jun 2007 16:36
The Thom(p)sons are twins. Whoever doubts this relationship is just trying to cause confusion.
jock123
#36 · Posted: 22 Jun 2007 23:10
pokemon
The Thom(p)sons are twins. Whoever doubts this relationship is just trying to cause confusion.
Well you are entitled to your opinion, but now, four pages into the discussion, it seems pretty clear that there is little or nothing in the books to make the claim that they are related in any way at all, so perhaps more confusion comes from those who insist otherwise...?
Rocky
#37 · Posted: 15 Feb 2017 12:02
In reference to the film 'Tintin et Moi', mentioned earlier in this thread, the translation subtitle says
"There are the Thompson Twins. They're idiots - which I often am. I see myself in them."
But I can't make out what he's saying in French. Perhaps a French speaker can decipher it? Go to 6:20.
mct16
#38 · Posted: 15 Feb 2017 12:10
As far as that particular sequence is concerned, the subtitles are very faithful.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!