Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Captain Haddock: Loch Lomond distillery

jock123
#1 · Posted: 4 Jun 2004 16:20
Just thought I'd post this link to the real Loch Lomond distillery

You might notice that they have just released their last stocks of a special 1966 whisky. I think The Black Island was re-drawn in 1965 - could Tintin have been hanging onto the very tanker, before the whisky was laid down?

Coming from the North East, it is a little galling that Captain Haddock drank a Lowland whisky and not a Speyside, but still, it is interesting to know his tipple is for sale (although only in Germany, by the looks of it).

PS: I know that MT&LL-C suggested the name be used without realising there was an actual whisky, but as was said a Greenwich, Hergé loved coincidences!
fripp
#2 · Posted: 3 Jul 2004 10:48
FYI, in the first edition of the Swedish translations, it was the word Whisky was deemed too dangerous for small children. It was replaced with a word which losely translated means "party brew".
How silly is that?
jock123
#3 · Posted: 4 Jul 2004 08:42
fripp:
It was replaced with a word which losely translated means "party brew".

LOL! Party brew actually conjures up a picture to me of something even stronger than whisky - made in a secret still or a bath-tub during prohibition - so I wonder what they were thinking of?

Do Swedes serve anything called party brew to children, thus taking the emphasis off the alcoholic nature of the Captain's drinking?

Or is the effect maybe closer to him using a slang word like "hooch" in English, where it would be in character, even if the drink he had was in fact a regular bottled whisky?
GurraJG
#4 · Posted: 4 Jul 2004 15:22
fripp:
in the first edition of the Swedish translations, it was the word Whisky was deemed too dangerous for small children

Really? I never saw that before, and I have quite a lot of Swedish Tintin albums.

-Gustav
fripp
#5 · Posted: 5 Jul 2004 23:24
Gustav,

The word used was Kalasmust. I don't have any copies myself but I believe it was when Carlsen IF published Tintin. I think I saw in The Secret of 'The Unicorn'.

Jock,
It's a made up word and it sounds really childish, something along the lines of punch served at a childrens' party. Not sinister at all, I'm afraid. it just a piece of the good old Swedish Big Brother mentality for you.

/fripp
GurraJG
#6 · Posted: 5 Aug 2004 15:50
fripp:
The word used was "Kalasmust"

Right, I figured it out. A couple of days ago DN (a Swedish newpaper) published an article about Tintin. In it the whole thing is explained. In the earliest translation (out of 3) it's party brew. Later, in the second edition, as well as the newest, it's whisky.

jock123:
Do Swedes serve anything called party brew to children

No, the closest thing to Kalasmust is Julmust, which is a type of soft drink we serve at Christmas.

-Gustav

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!