Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Bob de Moor: Does he get appropriate recognition?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

midnightblueowl
#1 · Posted: 4 Jan 2006 21:48
Hello
Just to say that don't you think that Bob de Moor doesn't get his due?
I mean, he wrote 2 of the Quick and Flupke's and plotted 'the ThermoZèro' for Hergé.
He must of helped plot other stories as well.
It was also considered that he should finish 'Alph-art' as the official version. He put a lot of work into the Tintin books and didn't get a lot out of it.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 5 Jan 2006 15:55
I'm not sure how you want this to continue, midnightblue, as I can't think how it could ever be judged?
The public at large might not recognize his name, but I think BD afficianados in general, and Tintinologists in particular, are quite aware of M. de Moor's place of importance in the history of our favourite boy reporter.

plotted 'the ThermoZèro' for Hergé. He must of helped plot other stories as well.

Well he adapted the existing plot of Le ThermoZèro from the original Tintin-centric version (conceived and written by Greg) to a Jo, Zette & Jocko version.
Whether he did it by himself from notes, or whether Hergé himself did a J,Z&J scenario first, and had BdM script it, or whether some other combination of collaborators was involved, I don't know. He does seem to have done the art for it though, so credit where it is due for sure.

As to whether he plotted other stories, he may have contributed, but the works are definitely Hergé's - unless you have evidence to the contrary?

He put a lot of work into the Tintin books and didn't get a lot out of it.

Exactly what he got out of, well who can say? Apart from being paid?
It may have been exactly what he wanted or needed: he got to work on his own strips as well as the Tintin books, and had an outlet for them through the Tintin magazine.
He also was able to work in animation (his original craft) on the Belgian cartoons, so he may have been very satisfied!

He was Hergé's close companion, right-hand man and long-time collaborator - it seems to have been a satisfactory arrangement, or he could easily have taken his talents elsewhere.
midnightblueowl
#3 · Posted: 5 Jan 2006 17:20
Hello
You're right Jock, but I still think that he should be remembered more highly for his work on Quick & Flupke, books 11 and 12.
SingingGandalf
#4 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 19:44
I believe Bob de Moor only did one Q&F, Haute Tension, correct me if I'm wrong.
I agree that de Moor should have more recognition, but he only really did backgrounds, and not characters or stories in the main albums.
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 20:52
SingingGandalf
I believe Bob de Moor only did one Q&F, Haute Tension, correct me if I'm wrong.
Bob De Moor, Hergé's right-hand man, was the father of Johan De Moor, the "Quick & Flupke" man...
Danagasta
#6 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 22:20
Without his skill, I doubt the Tintin series would be so aesthetically pleasing. I've seen comparisons of the originals by Hergé, and the redrawn versions by de Moor, and preferred the de Moor versions hands down.
Courtney
jock123
#7 · Posted: 30 Mar 2006 09:03
Danagasta
I've seen comparisons of the originals by Herge and the redrawn versions by de Moor, and preferred the de Moor versions hands down.
I'm not sure here if we are talking about the Q&F strips, re-done by Bob's son, or just the Tintin books?
If the latter, I don't think that the work which Bob did should be diminished, but I don't think he added that much aesthetically.
He certainly didn't do book in the series without work by Hergé, so I don't think it's possible to say what was Hergé and what Bob added for sure.

As evidence, I'd suggest looking at the work which he did independently of Hergé, such as his Barelli books - these are in no way bad books, but just don't get to the standards of the Tintin albums; ergo, he wasn't the artist that Hergé was (and I repeat, I am, and always have been, a BdeM fan).
advnarayan
#8 · Posted: 28 Apr 2015 15:56
Didn't Bob De Moor write some short Tintin stories running to one or two pages? I think they were published only in French, and - subject to correction - I think they were published in Tintin magazine.
Is my memory doggedly wrong, or did Moulinsart turn a blind eye to these short creations? Or were they unofficial pastiches?

Could anyone point me in the right direction?
mct16
#9 · Posted: 29 Apr 2015 00:36
Many pastiches of Tintin were published in Tintin magazine by many artists, usually in order to mark an event, such as the 35th and 40th anniversaries of the first publication of the magazine.
These pastiches had Tintin meet characters from other series in the magazine, such as Gine's Neige (set in a post-apocalyptic world) or Rosinski's Hans (in which a space-time traveller similar to Doctor Who discreetly observes Tintin's landing on the moon).
These were meant as one-off commemorations and never part of the canon, either of Tintin or the other series.

In the main series, De Moor, Jacques Martin and Roger Leloup are usually credited with drawing the backgrounds, such as rooms, furniture, buildings, cars and aircraft, but it has been claimed that they also occasionally drew the characters themselves.
De Moor always denied this since it was supposed to have been Hergé's doing, but some have claimed that he may have done so in Picaros.

He, Martin and Leloup are also credited with the drawing of the book version of Lake of Sharks - it certainly wasn't Hergé, though he did supervise and approve it.
De Moor and the others originally drew it as black-and-white strips, published in Le Soir around the time the film was released in cinemas and these were then coloured for the book version.
jock123
#10 · Posted: 29 Apr 2015 15:27
advnarayan:
Didn't Bob De Moor write some short Tintin stories running to one or two pages?
Yes - we've discussed at least one of them in the past: Les Gorilles de la Vedette ("Bodyguards to the Stars") was written as a little tribute to Hergé at the time of the unveiling of the statue of Tintin in Uccle.

advnarayan:
did Moulinsart turn a blind eye to these short creations? Or were they unofficial pastiches?
They are not "official" in that they don't make up part of the canon, nor were they intended to to.
However, Tintin magazine might as well have been the house magazine for the Studios in those days, so they had far more leeway to render jokes of this kind than anyone else would ever have.
Look on it as the work of a beloved employee playing a practical joke on a benevolent boss - the fact that it was done by someone who knew him, for a publication which was authorized by him, to mark a special occasion, doesn't mean that anyone else at any other time could do the same thing...
You also have to bear in mind that the final decision to stop creating new Tintin was not an instant one: it was thought at first that the work might continue on Alph-Art, and the studio staff were involved in commercial projects which had been undertaken while Hergé was alive.
Producing the odd little cartoon for the journal might have been thought to be something to placate the readers, as well as carrying on the traditions of characters being combined for one off humorous pieces or appearing in little skits while Hergé had been alive.
It was only when Mme Rodwell was presented with the paperwork for completion and publication of Alph-Art that consolidated her resolve to carry out Hergé's wish for Tintin to end with his death.
This, and the end of the magazine, brought such outings to a conclusion.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!