Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Your Favourite "Tintin" Books?

Page  Page 2 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 

Red_Rackham
#11 · Posted: 5 Jun 2004 02:47
I'm not sure what everyone sees in Seven Crystal Balls, or Calculus Affair for that matter?

My ten are..

1) Tintin In Tibet (lovely message of friendship, I love the Yeti and also the monks)
2) Red Rackham's Treasure (best adventure book)
3) The Broken Ear (Best mystery, I love the way it's resolved)
4) Prisoners Of The Sun (Another great adventure, eclipse scene is a perfect climax)
5) King Ottakar's Sceptre (I love the brochure bit, Herge really gave the impression of a real country in this one)
6) The Blue Lotus (Funny, political and charming...pretty much perfect)
7) Flight 714 (Totally weird and..er... out of this world! I love it!)
8) The Red Sea Sharks (Funny and gripping)
9) The Castafiore Emerald (The funniest Tintin album by far)
10) The Black Island (Nice mystery/chase story)

I have to say my two least favourties are definetely
Tintin In America - too many unrelated story elements. This one isn't that funny and just doesn't go anywhere
Crab With The Golden Claws - the animation is a little off in this one and the stroy line is very lacking compared to something like Flight 714.
trifonius
#12 · Posted: 6 Jun 2004 14:40
My top-10:
1. Tintin in Tibet
2. The Blue Lotus
3. Destination moon
4. Explorers on the moon
5. Red Rackham's Treasure
6. The Calculus Affair
7. The Red Sea Sharks
8. Prisoners of the Sun
9. Castafiore Emerald
10. The Crab With The Golden Claws
DERFALLBIENLEIN
#13 · Posted: 7 Jun 2004 12:04
Ok, here is my top ten -
1. The Calculus Affair
2. Flight 714
3. The Seven Crystal Balls
4. The Black Isle
5. The Castafiore Emerald
6. Tintin and the Picaros
7. The Red Sea Sharks
8. Tintin in Tibet
9. King Ottokar's Sceptre
10. Prisoners of the Sun.
I would have to put The Calculus Affair as number one because it is, in my opinion, the most complete Tintin book: the drawings are perfect, the storyline has twists, turns and near misses galore, everything a good adventure book should have!
I have put The Seven Crystal Balls higher up the list than Prisoners of the Sun beacause, if you look at them as two separate books, I think the way that the first book leaves you suspended after 62 pages is excellent, and as good as the second book is it doesnt have quite the same impact.
I remember reading The Seven Crystal Balls for the first time when I was about 11 years old and I was bursting to read Prisoners of the Sun afterwards. There's not many books you read as a child or an adult that have that kind of effect.
Hernandez y Fernandez
#14 · Posted: 11 Jun 2004 11:35
I like the adveture books, and especially the ones where they're out at sea... ( by the way, its surprising that all the books are mentioned here except Shooting Star, Picaros and Tintin in America which are some of my favorites)

1) Unicorn / Red Rackham
2) Crystal Balls/ Prisoners of the Sun
3) Shooting Star
4) Red Sea Sharks
5) Flight 714
6) Land of Black Gold
7) Black Island
8) Tintin in America
9) Picaros
10) Cigars of the Pharaoh
miloumuttmitt
#15 · Posted: 21 Jun 2004 22:41
1 Black Island
2 Calculus
3 Explorers on the Moon
4 Tintin in Tibet
5 Tintin in the Congo
6 Castafiore Emerald
7 Shooting Star
8 Secret of the Unicorn
9 Blue Lotus
10 Broken Ear
tintin_fanatic
#16 · Posted: 24 Jun 2004 14:03
1. The Seven Crystal Balls
2. The Shooting Star
3. The Calculus Affairs
4. The Blue Lotus
5. The Black Island
6. Prisoners of the Sun
7. Destination Moon
8. Explorers on the Moon
9. Tintin in America
10. Flight 714
OJG
#17 · Posted: 23 Jul 2004 17:15
Which, out of the English books (i.e. not Congo, Soviets, or Alph-Art) is your favourite adventure and why? And what about a least favourite story?

Obviously it depends what mood you're in, so for me personally I couldn't really say.
But I would have to say that I think Tintin in Tibet is the 'best'.
It is considerably more thoughtful than the others and has a more serious and touching edge, but still maintains a level of light-heartedness overall.
It doesn't feature the Thompsons, who are an integral part of the world of Tintin, but can become a little wearing at times. I think it's the only story where Tintin shows true emotion.

My least favourite would probably have to be Tintin in America, simply because it's not such a good story.
I guess that's because Hergé was still developing the Tintin world at the time.
I also think that The Red Sea Sharks was relatively weak.
Vlipvlop
#18 · Posted: 23 Jul 2004 17:27
Yes, I agree with you, The Red Sea Sharks is quite weak, as is Tintin and the Picaros! ... As for my favorite book (besides congo, soviets, and Alph-art, i've never read alph-art!) would have to be "Flight 714", in my mind it's a masterpiece!! ... Least favorite would be "Tintin in America" too, as you say it's in the early stage and herge hasn't quite develeped all his skills yet ...
Harrock n roll
#19 · Posted: 23 Jul 2004 18:46
Mine would have to be the 2-parter, The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun. I love the way it was presented in Tintin Magazine (the second part as Temple Du Soleil) - it just looks beautiful. I like the 1940s feel, the cars, clothes, etc. It conjures up nicely the era in which it was written. And in the second part you really get a taste of Peru with the heat, the clothes and colours - and the llamas!

My favourite moment has to be the waterfall sequence - probably Haddock's most emotional moment - and the concept of behind the waterfall. It's a mystery, thriller and quest all rolled into one.
OJG
#20 · Posted: 23 Jul 2004 20:51
I've been reading Tintin since I was around 6 or 7. For quite some time I regarded The Seven Crystal Balls as my favourite. I just liked the gradual 'knockout' style with all of the professors. After a while I really took a liking to The Black Island (don't ask me why, I just did).

Now I'm older, I think I can tell the better quality stories from some of the lesser ones. But I still love 'em all anyway. I'd have to say that as well as Tintin in Tibet, King Ottokar's Sceptre was really nicely done, and The Castafiore Emerald was very clever as well as different to the others.

Page  Page 2 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!