Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Jules Verne

Page  Page 2 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Vlipvlop
#11 · Posted: 27 Jul 2004 12:21
Well, by the way, he's my Favorite author! ...

Hi, Jules Verne's Merry Miseries of Three Travelers in Scandinavia (1861) has never been officially translated into English, well I'm working on translating it, if any of you are interested I'll post it on this forum. Let me know! ...

Are any of you interested? ... Please tell me ...

-Vlipvlop
Richard
UK Correspondent
#12 · Posted: 27 Jul 2004 19:31
Anyone remember the cartoon they did when Phileas Fogg was a lion? That was a good interpretation.

"Around The World With Willy Fogg" - I loved that show, it was great - and had a fantastic theme song. Likewise, the follow-up, a combination of "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" and "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" was very good as well.

While we're on the topic of favourite authors does anyone remember Roald Dahl, Paul Jennings and R.L. Stine?

Never really a fan of Jennings or Stine, but I absolutely adored Roald Dahl's books when I was little. They were (and still are) hillariously funny, and also incredibly disgusting (for a young child) - that's probably why I liked them so much.

A mention must go to the illustrator of most of the Roald Dahl books (and the remaining few posthumously), the living legend that is Quentin Blake. His ink and watercolour drawings are so full of life and wonderfully executed - I went to an exhibition of his work recently, and believe me, the printed work simply doesn't do his drawings justice.
snafu
#13 · Posted: 27 Feb 2005 22:02
I like Jules Verne because he always writes about adventures. This taste for adventures actually came from looking at Tintin books. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to read any novels, so Tintin, with all its excitement, is the best thing around (actually, I like Tintin more than I like Jules Verne...Tintin also relevant for adults and provides a unique look into another world...
Tintin and Snowy
#14 · Posted: 2 Feb 2006 03:30
Jules Verne is a good author. I've only read 20,000 leagues under the sea and I thought it was quite interesting. I've seen three movies based on his books; 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Around The World in 80 days and The Mysterious Island. Mysterious Island had cheesy affects though.
midnightblueowl
#15 · Posted: 4 Feb 2006 14:55
Hi
I think there is a Jules Verne/Tintin crossover book by Harry Edwards, although it might be an essay book, not a comic.
Harrock n roll
#16 · Posted: 6 Feb 2006 12:25
Jules Verne/Tintin crossover book by Harry Edwards

I believe you're referring to the book ]Jules Verne et Hergé : D’un mythe à l’autre by Bob Garcia, with a cover drawn by Harry Edwood. (There was also another book from 1999 - Tintin chez Jules Verne along similar lines).

I think (having not read either of them) that they examine the similarities between Hergé's work and that of Jules Verne. Hergé himself denied that he'd even read much Jules Verne.
flipper78
#17 · Posted: 14 Mar 2006 07:57
Hello everybody!

I am a new member in this forum. A friend recommended this site for me as I am a huge Tintin fan. I am also a huge fan of Jules Verne books. My favorite is Journey to the Center of The Earth. When I visited Copenhagen (where I live now) last year I wrote an article abt Copenhagen according to the passages in the Journey to the Center of the Earth. I even climbed the churchspire of Vor Frelsers Kirke! Hehehe....
cigars of the beeper
#18 · Posted: 7 Sep 2007 18:47
"The Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne is an excellent book which I recommend for all other Tintin fans. There are a couple parts in this book that "Secret of the Unicorn" and "Prisoners of the Sun" seem to be directly mirrored off of. The pirates are docked off of an island(Unicorn, Mysterious Island) one of the good guys sneaks on to the pirate ship at night by climbing up the anchor chain. (Prisoners, Mysterious Island)he discovers that the pirates are drunk. (Unicorn, Mysterious Island)he decides to try to blow up the ship using the magazine. (Unicorn, Mysterious Island) Before being able to do it, he is discovered by the head pirate(Unicorn, Mysterious Island, Prisoners (sort of)) he gets in a fight with him and escapes from the ship.(Prisoners, Mysterious Island) as he swims away from the ship towards his friend in a boat the pirates shoot at him. (Prisoners, Mysterious Island) I think there might be a mention of this at Tintin.com. Remember, Jules Verne was a French author, so his books, naturally, were in French, so Herge most likely read this book. I highly recommend anything by Jules Verne. Note: before reading "Mysterious Island" you should read "20,000 Leagues" and also "in search of the castaways". Right now I am reading "The Sea Serpent" by Jules Verne. I will tell everyone if I liked it.

Moderator Note: Moved from a separate thread.
Mikael Uhlin
#19 · Posted: 7 Sep 2007 19:04
The similarities between some of the work by Jules Verne and some of the Tintin-books have been pointed out several times. "The Mysterious Island" is one example, the trips to the moon another, crashing meteorites and so on are other examples. There has even been books written on the subject, at least in French. Search the web for "Jules Verne" + Hergé (or Tintin).

Interesting comparisions.
cigars of the beeper
#20 · Posted: 8 Sep 2007 00:58
Sorry, Moderator. I did not know that there was another thread about Jules Verne.

Page  Page 2 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!