Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in the Congo: in trouble in India...

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 5 Feb 2006 20:45
Tintin in trouble: Congo book slammed

Arush Chopra Friday, February 03, 2006 00:40 IST

MUMBAI: He wanted to save Snowy, but landed himself in trouble. Tintin, the young reporter made immortal by the late Belgian writer-illustrator Herge, is likely to be slammed by city animal rights activists over the way he kills and mistreats wild animals in 'Tintin in the Congo' —the latest in the 24-part French comic series to be released in English worldwide.

People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India have raised an objection to the comic book being sold openly on book stands for "glorifying the hunting and mindless ill-treatment of animals."

to be continued on
http://dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1010988

see also
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1615572,0012.htm
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 5 Feb 2006 21:57
People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India have raised an objection to the comic book being sold openly on book stands for "glorifying the hunting and mindless ill-treatment of animals."

Interesting, I always thought that if there was to be any criticism about the mistreatment of animals in Tintin in the Congo that it would come from the UK, or US. India appears to be ahead in that regard, perhaps due to the legacy of hunting there (?)

Funny quote from the Hindustan times; ”as far as charges of bigotry go, modern readers have allowed Hergé’s depictions to be treated as anachronisms — the way, say, the medieval Dante Alighieri is let off the hook for placing Prophet Mohammad in the eighth circle of hell.”

Let off the hook, or did nobody notice...?
yamilah
#3 · Posted: 5 Feb 2006 22:39
the medieval Dante Alighieri is let off the hook for placing Prophet Mohammad in the eighth circle of hell.

I suppose Dante was 'let off the hook' because he just used writing.

The recent cartoons' affair proves that images can hold a power that can be totally unsuspected by Westerners!
tybaltstone
#4 · Posted: 6 Feb 2006 16:21
I suppose Dante was 'let off the hook' because he just used writing.

Mr. Salman Rushdie might disagree with you there!
jock123
#5 · Posted: 6 Feb 2006 16:42
yamilah

The recent cartoons' affair proves that images can hold a power that can be totally unsuspected by Westerners!

Or it proves that taking images out of context isn’t a good thing? ;-)
midnightblueowl
#6 · Posted: 8 Feb 2006 17:26
Hi
Im a member of PETA, but I think that the book should be allowed, as long as it's the altered version (with Tintin not killing the rhino) and is not widely available to children. But collectors should be allowed to have them.
Danagasta
#7 · Posted: 3 Apr 2006 13:44
I think the whole hunting thing comes down to culture. In mine, it's not looked down upon at all. It's hard for me to understand why it would be. Then again, our hunting is always done with respect for the animals and for other purposes rather than for trophy items.

Courtney
SingingGandalf
#8 · Posted: 3 Apr 2006 15:38
In India, although this is mainly the south, nearly everyone is Hindu and strict vegetarian. Therefore hunting would be seen as abhorant.

This topic is closed.