Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Hergé: Pictured reading fan art? [Closed]

midnightblueowl
#1 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 15:36
I saw a photo of Hergé reading an unofficial book by Harry Edwards, Le making du lagon, with another on his desk le Projet O-light. On the wall were posters of unofficial books, as well as The Lake of Sharks.
Has anyone else seen this, and what do you think?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 15:44
The photograph of Hergé reading the pirate volumes is a fake - they have replaced the books Hergé was originally pictured with by using image-editing software.

The big clues should be that the pirates are a) not complete books even now, so there are no actual books to read, and they b) weren't started until after Hergé was dead...
Teak
#3 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 15:54
I liked the Making du lagon photo-mock-up. It sort of shows that Hergé's spirit lives on in the Tintin tribute stories.
My guess would be that he would certainly appreciate fan art done by fans of Tintin as an expression of their love of the stories, more than he would appreciate some of the parodies which are of very questionable taste.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 16:09
Teak
I liked the Making du lagon photo-mock-up. It sort of shows that Hergé's spirit lives on in the Tintin tribute stories.

How do you reach that conclusion?
If someone doctored a picture of you to show you holding one of the parodies which you yourself describe as "of very questionable taste", would that mean that you approved of the parodies?

I think that, while the picture was obviously meant as a joke, and is technically well done, it can't be used to interpret Hergé's approval of the situation.
As has been said elsewhere, Hergé didn't let anyone draw Tintin for the books while he was alive, and certainly didn't want Tintin drawn after he died.

This topic is closed.