Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

The Rainbow Orchid

Page  Page 7 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

Tintinrulz
#61 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 07:32
I'm definetly getting a copy when it is released again. Hopefully part 2 will be ready to buy then also.

Tybaltstone, your stuff is great. There are few cartoon styles I like as much as bande dessinee and you really captured the spirit of the Tintin books from the samples I've seen (without ripping them off). Great job!
Also thanks a lot for the behind the scenes look into your work - it's a fascinating watch and is rarely done.
Have you sold lots of copies of Rainbow Orchid?
tybaltstone
#62 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 18:11
Thanks for those nice words, Tintrulz, and I'm glad you found the film an interesting insight. I printed 300 copies of Orchid (but I think I got 350 from the printer), so not that many. I was testing the water, and the completed book, in colour, is the end product I'm going for.
Rajpal
#63 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 22:37
While I'm here, perhaps of interest will be this video of me drawing some of the panels.

I have already seen it. I wish I could sketch like you!
Tintinrulz
#64 · Posted: 16 Feb 2006 00:20
Just out of interest what sort of ink and pen do you use to ink your comic art? Thanks!
Rajpal
#65 · Posted: 16 Feb 2006 03:27
Just out of interest what sort of ink and pen do you use to ink your comic art? Thanks!

good question - Tintinrulz. Also, what sort of paper?
tybaltstone
#66 · Posted: 16 Feb 2006 10:12
For paper I use an A3 pad of Goldline 220gsm Bristol Board. I have recently changed pens and now use a dip pen with a Hunt 107 nib (I used to use a Rapidograph, I don't have very precise control with my hand and there was less chance of a splurge). The ink pot I currently have on my table is Speedball Super Black India Ink (Hunt, waterproof), but I also have a bottle of Winsor & Newton black for brushing large areas, but when that runs out I'll probably just use the Speedball.

I'm sure this is too much information! But if it's not, there's more at:
http://www.rainboworchid.co.uk/behindscenes/behind_01making.php
Rajpal
#67 · Posted: 17 Feb 2006 01:35
I'm sure this is too much information! But if it's not, there's more at:
http://www.rainboworchid.co.uk/behindscenes/behind_01making.php

That is NOT too much information, Its great information.
I wish I had your talent & patience! :)

Cheers
SingingGandalf
#68 · Posted: 4 Apr 2006 22:44
I've just seen it and I'd like to say it was brilliant. When will part one be released in book form. I will most certainly buy one. Once again - great.
tybaltstone
#69 · Posted: 5 Apr 2006 18:56
Thank you, SingingGandalf, that's very nice of you to say so. I don't know when it will have a print release (but be assured, it will). I have had publisher interest, now have an agent, and am taking a little break from the drawing to get the writing down in greater detail.

Thanks again.
tybaltstone
#70 · Posted: 27 Apr 2009 00:10
Please excuse this rather direct press-release... I hope it's okay to post it here :-)

The full web version of my comic strip, The Rainbow Orchid, is going to remain online for just one more week!

Book publication of volume one is set for 4 August 2009, so after the bank holiday weekend (Tuesday 5 May) the online strip will become a preview, with certain sections removed and the full story available in print only.

You can start reading The Rainbow Orchid here:

http://www.rainboworchid.co.uk/webcomic/stripIndex.php?currentPlate=1

More information:

The Rainbow Orchid is being published in three volumes by Egmont UK. It is a mystery adventure set in the 1920s, partly inspired by the works of writers such as H. Rider Haggard, Jules Verne and Arthur Conan Doyle mixed up with a very British version of the Franco-Belgian ligne claire school of graphic storytelling, luminaries of which include Hergé, Edgar P. Jacobs, Yves Chaland, Floc'h and Joost Swarte to name just a handful.

Bryan Talbot (Grandville, Alice in Sunderland, The Tale of One Bad Rat etc.) kindly said:

"Tightly-plotted, well-researched and beautifully drawn, this book is a real delight. Garen Ewing's mix of engaging characters, exciting old-school adventure, attractive ligne claire artwork and fluid storytelling makes The Rainbow Orchid easily one of the best graphic novels of the year."

Visit the website: http://www.rainboworchid.co.uk

Thanks for reading, best wishes - Garen

Page  Page 7 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!