Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in Tibet: Tintin's hat

marsbar
#1 · Posted: 17 Feb 2006 10:18
Hope someone can help to answer this question the Team recently received via email:
What kind of hat does Tintin wear in Tintin in Tibet? I saw one at a surplus store once and the material around the hat folds down into a balaclava.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 18 Feb 2006 02:45
I've no idea exactly but it looks like some kind of peaked woollen cap, similar to the ones from surplus stores like the questioner mentions . They're quite long but can be tucked around to form a sort of headband. I think it is quite a nice hat, I like the pillbox shape and the small bobble.
yamilah
#3 · Posted: 18 Feb 2006 17:16
I confirm the above. Skiers e.g. used to wear them as an all-weather garment; it's now rather old-fashion when compared to synthetical 'polar' garments.

Herge most likely would have named it a 'passe-montagne'.
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 18 Feb 2006 17:59
It might have looked something like this when folded down.
yamilah
#5 · Posted: 18 Feb 2006 19:03
Definitively yes!

Compare the simple 'cagoule polaire' i.e. polar balaclava (5.10 euros)
see http://www.ediloisir.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1426&osC sid=ea7a1d20acf3d43a53e7298b1d10d2ff

and Tintin's unfolded 'passe-montagne polaire' that looks like a balaclava plus a vizor (6.50 euros)
see http://www.ediloisir.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1427&osC sid=553ce8fc0e2e93059e5d83c8f023aa2f
Harrock n roll
#6 · Posted: 18 Feb 2006 19:30
a balaclava plus a vizor

indeed I was going to mention you might get the same effect if you wore a peaked visor, like one of these, with the same colour bobble hat/balaclava underneath (visors are open-topped.)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!