Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin - does he own a gun?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

jockosjungle
#1 · Posted: 8 Jun 2004 12:46
I know Tintin uses a gun quite a lot in his adventures, but does he actually own one?
I can't think of an instance where he does; he just seems to acquire them on his travels.
Am I right?
Rik
DERFALLBIENLEIN
#2 · Posted: 8 Jun 2004 13:02
I'm not sure if he owns a gun but I do recall him saying in one adventure that he doesn't like guns despite the amount of times that he actually uses one!
GurraJG
#3 · Posted: 8 Jun 2004 18:00
I'm not quite sure if Tintin owns a gun. In King Ottokar's Sceptre, page 13, frame 5, Tintin asks Thomson for a gun, so I'm supposing that he does not have a gun.

-Gustav
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 11:20
In The Seven Crystal Balls Tintin and Haddock both produce guns in the sequence where they discover Calculus has been abducted. Unless these weapons were borrowed from the police protecting Tarragon I can only assume that Tintin keeps a Luger tucked in his plus-fours - which could be extremely dangerous whilst climbing a tree....
DERFALLBIENLEIN
#5 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 11:36
In Tintin in America when Tintin is chasing Bobby Smiles, he ends up in the wild west, where he feels out of place in how he is dressed.
So, he goes to an outfitters to get kitted out like a cowboy, and one of the things he buys is a gun.
The assistant in the shop even advises Tintin on how he should wear the belt and holster (a little to the left was the fashion at the time I think)!
So, assuming he paid for the items (we don't see money changing hands), Tintin does own a gun - at least in this adventure!
jockosjungle
#6 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 12:38
Yes he does, Derfall, come to think of it.
He shoots a bunch of antelope in Congo so he must have had the gun there, and all the crocs in Prisoners of the Sun, and they shoot sharks in Red Rackham's Treasure.

Hadn't really thought of all these when I posted the thread. Has he ever killed a person though?

Rik
DERFALLBIENLEIN
#7 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 12:55
The only occurence I can think of without having any of my books to hand is in Explorers on the Moon. Thompson and Thomson go to loosen Colonel Jorgen's ropes and he emerges from the hold with a gun. He is going to shoot Tintin and the rest of the crew but Wolff intervenes and Tintin joins in the struggle, the gun goes off and Jorgen is dead, shot through the heart. I know that we don't actually know who pulled the trigger, Tintin, Wolff or Jorgen (by accident!), but we do know how opposed Tintin is to bloodshed by his terms and conditions with General Alcazar in Tintin and the Picaros.
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 13:30
Actually I think you're wrong about Tintin joining in the struggle between Wolff and Jorgen - he runs to Wolff's aid but it's too late - the gun goes off...

I'm 99% certain that Tintin never kills anybody in his adventures (I haven't read Soviets in a while). He shoots plenty of animals in Congo though... Tintin is certainly careful not to shoot people - when Haddock and he are ambushed by arab bandits in Crab he picks his target only to shoot sand in his face. Tintin is a pacifist.

Death is an uncommon theme in Tintin - there are 4 deaths in The Broken Ear, a Hari-Kari in Lotus, possibly a few in Prisoners when the Indians fall off the side of a cliff, 2 in Explorers and one in Alph-art (which broke the mould a little). You could also assume that a numer of people die in the train wreck in Lotus and the plane crash in Tibet.
pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#9 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 13:54
Tintin does own a gun, no question about it. In the Broken Ear, he is awoken when Ramon Bada burgles his flat to steal the parrot. He (naturally for the quasi-thriller style story) greets Ramon with a gun and the phrase "Put your hands up!"

Paul
jockosjungle
#10 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 14:51
I'm pretty sure he doesn't kill anyone, not directly anyway, maybe some collateral damage or something (i'm sure most of the men he brings in are probably executed)

But very few people actually die

Also in Explorer's on the moon, does Wolff die? He goes off into space but he may have found an asteroid with a breathable atmosphere.

Rik

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!