Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: Title translation...?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

jock123
#11 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 12:09
Harrock n roll

I'm sure you mean 714
Ah, yes. Precisely! Shouldn't try and type with boxing gloves on...!

It's possible that MT and LLC saw the Dutch title, but it could just as well been the other way round as by this time (1968) Methuen were also releasing their books simultaneously with Casterman.

I was thinking more that the strip will have been serialized in both Tintin and Kuifje magazines at the same time, prior to the album; the title may have originated then.
Harrock n roll
#12 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 12:24
jock123 the strip will have been serialized in both Tintin and Kuifje magazines at the same time, prior to the album

Good point again. However, I just googled "Vlucht 714 Naar Sydney" and found this info (translated from Dutch):

22nd tale of Kuifje, published in Dutch initially under the title Vlucht 714 Naar Sydney in Kuifje-weekblad from 27-9-1966 to 28-11-1967.
jock123
#13 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 12:40
Harrock n roll
I just googled "Vlucht 714 Naar Sydney"

I tried that earlier, and all I got was flight times to Sydney... ;-)

Ah well, at least we've established that there are other translations without the To Sydney, and it will be interesting to see if they fall into line too.

It just struck me too that the Afrikaans translation is probably taken from the Dutch - perhaps we are narrowing this title variation to two families of originals (from English and from Dutch)? It strikes me that there is quite an historic connection between The Netherlands and Malaysia, for example, so they could have taken the Dutch books for their original.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#14 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 14:52
The depth of research carried out on this forum in such a small timeframe never ceases to amaze me!

I'd like to offer this piece for consideration - one of the pencil drawings by Hergé for the cover of the book, showing the name as Flight 714.
So perhaps our title actually came before the French?
jock123
#15 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 15:10
Richard
I'd like to offer this piece for consideration

Ah! Now that is interesting! Thanks for letting us see that, Richard.

Given that many airports give flight announcements in English, I wonder if Flight 714 was considered as a title for the French book? It might have been thought to make it sound a little more globe-trotting and exotic.
yamilah
#16 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 15:38
Tintinrulz
Flight 714 to Sydney doesn't sound very good English to me. Like you said Jock, maybe the English translators thought it was an improvement to just be Flight 714.

Please what would then sound 'good English'? Flight 714 for Sydney, or another rendering?

Richard
Most interesting document! Where does it come from?
jock123
#17 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 16:17
I think it's perfectly fine to say "Flight 714 to Sydney", but it doesn't roll off the tongue particularly well; you could say "...for Sydney", as that seems more often than not the format used by airport announcements (when airports had announcements - many don't now, thanks to the presence of screens), but the same applies. I'd stick with the staus quo, personally, and leave it as is...!
Harrock n roll
#18 · Posted: 2 Mar 2006 16:51
The very last frame of the book has the announcement: "DONG.. This is the final call for Qantas Flight 714 to Sydney..."
So MT and LLC used "...to Sydney" rather than "...for".

I also wonder whether the "...to Sydney" was originally there to make the book title sound like more like a UFO abduction case. To make it sound as if something happened on the way to somewhere rather than just a flight number. I know that they weren't actually abducted on that particular flight, but it's a thought.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#19 · Posted: 3 Mar 2006 17:34
yamilah
Most interesting document! Where does it come from?

It appears in Goddin's book Comment naît une BD; it also lists a number of alternate titles, showing that Hergé didn't tie himself down too early.
I was surprised by how long Flight 714 must have been considered as a title, since it was drawn onto a proposed cover design.

Personally I prefer Flight 714, but there we go.
Harrock n roll
#20 · Posted: 3 Mar 2006 22:13
Richard it also lists a number of alternate titles, showing that Hergé didn't tie himself down too early

That's interesting. Would you mind repeating some of them here?

Personally I don't mind either title, but it will always be Flight 714 to me!

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!