Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

London Tintin Shop: News, your shopper's experience, etc.

Page  Page 1 of 5:  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Stas Werno
#1 · Posted: 30 Mar 2006 21:13
The first official Tintin shop ever, and the only one in the UK, I'm proud to work there :)

So who's been? Thoughts? Criticisms? Any long term customers (other than Richard :))?

http://www.thetintinshop.uk.com/
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#2 · Posted: 30 Mar 2006 21:42
I've been a regular customer for over ten years now; the mail order service is second-to-none and I've found the staff always willing to help and happy to have a chat. I'll always drop by if I'm at Charing Cross and have some time to spare.

It's not a criticism, but it can get rather hard to move around if there are more than, say, three customers in there at once! But I suppose it adds to the charm of the place.

I do remember fondly its sister Tintin Shop in Sloane Avenue, South Kensington, which closed a few years ago. As I recall, it had several times the floorspace of the Covent Garden shop, spread over two floors - those were the days!

Ed
Stas Werno
#3 · Posted: 30 Mar 2006 21:55
It's not a criticism, but it can get rather hard to move around if there are more than, say, three customers in there at once! But I suppose it adds to the charm of the place.

Heh yeah I like the smallness though, very cosy. The South Ken shop was too big I think, couldn't really handle staying alive, whereas the Covent Garden one's lasted 22 years.

It can get busy, which is why our more serious customers come early week rather than weekends to avoid the crowds, but usually if its busy stick around for five minutes and it quietens down!

Anyway thanks for the kind words :)
pgram
#4 · Posted: 31 Mar 2006 10:35
I visited it on Saturday for the first time. I was visiting London for two days and I am proud to say it was the first place I visited!

I bought Tintin in America facsimile, but was rather dissapointed not to find any other facsimiles in English (not the shop's fault, of course).

It is rather narrow, and it was crowded, but I did enjoy it there. If it was bigger it could be more like an exhibition, which would be nice.

The prices of the memorabilia are a little too high, I have to say, though...
Stas Werno
#5 · Posted: 31 Mar 2006 10:42
I was working there then :)

I bought Tintin in America facsimile, but was rather dissapointed not to find any other facsimiles in English (not the shop's fault, of course).

I'm pretty sure we have other english facimilies! Did you ask? Alot of the books are hidden.
pgram
#6 · Posted: 31 Mar 2006 12:33
As a matter of fact I did ask. Apart from America there was also Soviets, which I already had. I was hoping for Cigars or Black Island...

Are there any others?
Stas Werno
#7 · Posted: 31 Mar 2006 12:44
Are there any others?

Yeah there's the first 3 I think so Congo too, but actually now I think about it I think you're right, they sell out pretty quick. I'll check tomorow.

I hope to get there soon

Look forward to your visit!
SingingGandalf
#8 · Posted: 31 Mar 2006 16:42
but was rather dissapointed not to find any other facsimiles in English

So far, up to and including 'cigars' has been released in facsimile.
The shops good, although a little pricy and it should have more books and less t-shirts - I saw 'alph-art' in english in WHsmith before i saw it in the tintin shop!
Stas Werno
#9 · Posted: 31 Mar 2006 16:53
although a little pricy and it should have more books

the merchandise stuff's more pricey because its such good quality, the tshirs for example wont fade or shrink in the wash even if you try

and we got loads of books :/ all of them in english and french, the facimilies, the facimilies in french, the books in loads of languages like russian, tibetan, chinese, spanish etc, the companion, books on herge's drawings, a massive dossier of all the versions of the black island compared and so on.

we could have more but being an official shop we refuse to sell anything unofficial, it has to be approved by moulinsart before it comes to us.
SingingGandalf
#10 · Posted: 31 Mar 2006 19:15
and we got loads of books :/ all of them in english and french, the facimilies, the facimilies in french, the books in loads of languages like russian, tibetan, chinese, spanish etc, the companion, books on herge's drawings, a massive dossier of all the versions of the black island compared and so on.

I have had problems getting such books as 'l'atelier de la bande dessier' from you. Otherwise you are very good. You must have a lot of your other language books behind the counter, I have only seen French and German on the shelf.

Page  Page 1 of 5:  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!