Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

The New Days - a Tintin inspired comic

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

ADP
#1 · Posted: 2 Apr 2006 17:40
I was most sigificantly inspired by Tintin with regards to my comic, "The New Days". [Removed broken link - 28/03/2011 - Mod.]

I am also doing a 3-part review of Tintin in the weekly MP3 reports of my site, "The New Days Site News."

For this week, I have added a link to this site from mine.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 3 Apr 2006 03:07
The comic is quite good. You are very good at background detail. Your human figures are mostly very good. Might need to focus on the necks a bit more and having the arms doing something in more of the frames. I don't see much of a Tintin influence but I enjoy the style.
Great job!

What font did you use for the speech bubbles?
SingingGandalf
#3 · Posted: 3 Apr 2006 10:20
I agree with Tintinrulz, it is quite good, although not much like Tintin at all.

Might need to focus on the necks a bit more and having the arms doing something in more of the frames

Although strip cartoons like Peanuts or Garfield don't necessarily look realistic, so they don't have to be exact. Commendable effort, ADP.
tybaltstone
#4 · Posted: 3 Apr 2006 18:58
I think the comic has a lot of charm and is nicely carefully drawn. I see the nods to Tintin in your clean lines. The story didn't pull me in straight away, but I don't mind a slow moving comic if it pulls me along to some degree, which yours did.

The characters are a little stiff and the perspective can be a little plain at times, but I admire a daily schedule and you'll only get better, I'm sure.

I didn't get to read a huge chunk of it because my connection slowed right down half-way through, practically to a dead stop, but I'll come back again. Also liked your podcast, including your rendition of Captain Haddock, but again a slow connection stalled the complete loading, so I only got to hear some of it.

Good stuff!
SingingGandalf
#5 · Posted: 3 Apr 2006 21:17
Remember, Herge didn't start off drawing brilliantly (in fact the drawing of such things as Totor, and Soviets was awful, almost anyone could do better.) Of course Herge improved and showed he had real talent. So I can tell you this - you will get better. You certainly show the talents in there.
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 4 Apr 2006 07:42
Soviets still had a level of skill. It was just very raw.
SingingGandalf
#7 · Posted: 4 Apr 2006 12:17
Soviets still had a level of skill. It was just very raw.

I still think it was far too basic, even if some skill was there. Overall, I still think most people could do as well or better.
tybaltstone
#8 · Posted: 4 Apr 2006 13:47
I know what you're saying SinglingGandalf, but I love the basic cartoony style in Soviets. It really 'moves'! Almost like a silent film, wonderful.
ADP
#9 · Posted: 6 Apr 2006 02:57
Thanks for the kudos.

--
Off-topic:
BTW, I have ready every book except Tintin in the Land of the Soviets; in fact, until I began researching Tintin on the internet a few years ago, I never knew it (among a myriad of other Tintin-related things) didn't exist.
Would anyone know how would be the most convenient way to get a copy?

Reply from Moderator:
hi ADP - and welcome to the forums! The Soviets album was recently reprinted, so you should be able to order a copy from a bookshop near you or from one of the shops listed in our Tintin Shops Directory.
ADP
#10 · Posted: 28 Jul 2006 03:22
This was my first "Sunday sized" strip... [Removed broken link - 28/03/2011 - Moderator]
And after 6 months... [Removed broken link - 28/03/2011 - Moderator]

The new 3D program I am using to render my backgrounds really goes well with my "ligne-claire-derived" style. Herge could have saved thousands of man hours of work with such software. (I thought about rendering Professor Calculus' rocket on a whim--both inside and out.)

Hopefully there are participants of this forum who are still reading The New Days and listening to the accompanying podcast, The New Days Site News. [Removed broken link - 28/03/2011 - Moderator]
Although I can no longer produce the comic at a daily rate, I offer daily "vote pictures" as a reward for patient and regular visitors.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!