Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Star Trek

midnightblueowl
#1 · Posted: 4 Jan 2006 21:53
Hi
Does anyone here like star trek.
I love it. 2006 might not be a good year for Tintin but it will be for Star Trek : The final series to be released - star trek the animated series is to be released on DVD and Rick Berman may be making a new movie set between Star Trek Enterprise and Star Trek the original series.
SingingGandalf
#2 · Posted: 5 Apr 2006 13:56
I love Star Trek - I can't believe more people haven't said so. My favourite series is Deep Space nine, though I do really like the original series.

Edit
Posted: 8 May 2006 08:43:18
A new Star Trek film is being made. Paramount pictures have chucked out the directors of Star Trek, Brannon and Braga and brought in new people. But, unlike the past 4 films, this is not a ' next generation' movie with Picard etc. It is apparently set in the acadamy days of Kirk and Spock, the old crew. Paramount is trying to bring new life into Star Trek and get it as popular as it was in the 1990s. The most recent Star Trek series called 'Star Trek Enterprise was cancelled a few years ago for lack of funds and popularity.

And for those new to the whole Star Trek thing, here is a (rather large) summary. Set from the 22nd century to the 24th, Star Trek is a tv and movie phenomenon that is set in outer space. In most of the series' the Earth is a part of a huge 'United federation of planets' who are protected by 'Starfleet'. It was begun in the 1960s to today:

Star Trek - the Original series
1966-1969 (3 seasons)
Set in the 23rd century, it follows the adventures of the United federation starship U.S.S. Enterprise, and it's captain, James T. Kirk, along with first officer, the alien Spock as they boldly go to seek out new life and new civilisations... With the Klingons as the main baddies...

Star Trek the Animated adventures
1973-1974 (either 1 or 2 seasons)
An attempt to re-lift Star Trek. It features all the crew from the Original series, with the old ship, but in short, 20 minute episodes in dodgy animation. The producers soon dropped it and would later deny it's existence. Some claim that it is not canon.

Star trek the original series movies
1979-1991 (6 movies)
Six popular films featuring the crew from the original series. In the 3rd film, the U.S.S. Enterprise is destroyed so after that the crew use a new ship - the U.S.S. Enterprise-A.

Star Trek the Next Generation
1987-1994 (7 seasons)
Set in the 24th century, it shows the Federation flag ship, the U.S.S. Enterprise-D commanded by Captain Picard, basically having a new adventure weekly with the odd 2 parter. New bad aliens are introduced as in this time the Federation is allies with the Klingons. This was the most successfull of all the series'.

Star trek the Next Generation movies
1994-2002 (4 movies)
The crew from the next gen. series continue, although after there old ship is destroyed, they are given the USS Enterprise-E.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine
1993-1999 (7 seasons)
The most critically acclaimed series, it is set in the 24th Century, on a far away former slave labour space station called Deep Space Nine which is controlled by a joint Federation/Bajoran force. The area is a hotbed between two species, the Bajorans, and the Cardasssians who have occupied Bajor for 100 years. To add to that, Commander Benjamin Sisko is declared the emissary of the highly spiritual Bajorans. After 3 seasons of one off stories, the series became about a war (of which the station was on the front line of) between the Federation and an alien empire on the other side of the galaxy called the Dominion who travel to our side on a wormhole.

Star Trek Voyager
1995-2001 (7 seasons)
Set in the 24th century, the federation ship, USS Voyager, led by Captain Catherine Janeway, is flung to the other side of our galaxy, where all alone, it must face new alien threats, on it's 75 year journey to home space.

Star Trek Enterprise
2001-2005 (4 seasons)
Set in the 22nd century, Earths' first warp powered ship, the Enterprise, led by captain Johnathan Archer, heads out into uknown space. It's journey and the alliances it makes will help create the united federation of planets, 14 years later. The show was cancelled after 4 seasons, causing it to have a hasty ending set in the future, although many claimed that the 4th series warranted a 5th being made.
labrador road 26
#3 · Posted: 10 May 2006 07:50
I think one of the major greatness with ST: TOS was the bickering between the emotional Bones McCoy and the logical Spock and with Kirk as a moderator in between. A little like the classic Don Quijote (Quichotte, Quixote) diputes with Sancho Panza. Some great SF-writers were also responsible for the scripts which makes, at least some episodes, very tought-provoking.

The emotional/logical aspect was not, unfortunately, carried over in ST: NG so they focused more on the philosophical side, in my point of view anyway.

In Voyager the "survival" and "getting home" issues take up a significant part. With alienation and romance thrown in for good measure.

Haven't seen DS9 so I can't really say anything about it. Same goes for ST: E, but I do think that the different series have different strong-points which over-all are pretty good. I also know people that in no way are trekkies/SF-fans that watch it just because of Seven of Nine, who I guess was inserted mainly to boost ratings. I'm not really a Trekkie so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but that is how I see the series.

Now, beam me out of here, Scotty.
SingingGandalf
#4 · Posted: 10 May 2006 17:15
The emotional/logical aspect was not, unfortunately, carried over in ST: NG so they focused more on the philosophical side, in my point of view anyway.

Well, the original series was made to adress modern issues like segregation and womens rights but in an environment such as a sci-fi show where it wouldn't be recognised as a show about that.

that watch it just because of Seven of Nine, who I guess was inserted mainly to boost ratings.

Yes, that's exactly the reason. They got rid of another character (one of my favourites :( ) called Kes, by saying her species only had a 9 year life span.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!