Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Comica event

Harrock n roll
#1 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 23:42
Some members may have received an email relating to this event at the National Maritime Museum on this coming Sunday. For those that didn't, here it is.

Taking Comics too seriously?

Sunday 13 June | 14.00 - 15.30
Lecture Theatre | National Maritime Museum

What are comics doing in museums and art galleries? Why are graphic novels winning literary awards? Do comics deserve greater respectability? A discussion around status and future of the 'Ninth Art'. To open the debate, there will be the UK premiere of Peeter's Documentary about Art Speigelman, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Maus.

Speakers: Benoit Peeters, the Belgian author, critic and biographer of Herge; Paul Gravett, director of the Comica Festival and guests

Special £2 ticket for The World of Tintin day participants
tybaltstone
#2 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 23:56
Amazing, I was just looking at the NMM site to seek further details of this - they don't make it easy to find, do they? Then I came here to ask if anyone was going. I certainly plan to if I can get there on Sunday.

How do you get in for £2? Bring the email and hope you've still got your old ticket, I suppose?
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 10 Jun 2004 00:57
Yes, it's not advertised in their calendar of events so I assume this was a last minute addtion to the timetable. The NMM site doesn't seem to list all of the events, activites and 'adult study days' in relation the exhibition. We'll have to announce them here as they occur!

The talk by Michael Farr on July 10th is £6/£4 concessions and probably of a similar duration and price. But as you said, how do you prove that you were at the previous event and get in for £2?
jock123
#4 · Posted: 10 Jun 2004 07:19
I’ve not had the e-mail, it seems, so thanks for the heads-up! I know they had my e-mail address, because I booked on-line for the conference, so it may be that they are working from manual notes, rather than a data-base.

It would seem that the NMM web-site is deigned to be baffling: it was hard enough to get the information about a ticket for the big day, so these ancilliary events are bound to be no picnic...

I will certainly try to get there if I can, but I may already be booked up for Sunday.
tybaltstone
#5 · Posted: 10 Jun 2004 08:08
I presumed the list was from Paul Gravett's email list he took at the Tintin day, but then there were only 19 recipients in the email I received.

It is on the NMM website (just about!) - if you search for it in the search box (I think I typed in Comica).

And it has been on the Comica leaflet for quite a while, so I don't think it was a last minute addition.
tybaltstone
#6 · Posted: 10 Jun 2004 10:32
I think the thing to do, as i just did, is to reply to the email you received and ask about how to get the discount. I just got a reply and she said she'd reserve a £2 ticket for me at the desk. It's £8 normally, by the way, so it's an excellent deal.

If you didn't get the email but did go to the Tintin day, perhaps bringing your old ticket along and saying you know about the offer will do it.
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 10 Jun 2004 11:57
Thanks Garen. I knew about this event but I thought it was going to be held at a different location.

I've found the list of events on the NMM site which was buried in a strange place and in no particular order. Here's the link for anyone interested.
tybaltstone
#8 · Posted: 14 Jun 2004 13:58
I managed to get to the Comica event at teh Maritime Museum and really enjoyed it - though another hour longer would have been good.

I have put up a short report on my blog, for those interested:

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/blog/index.html
jock123
#9 · Posted: 14 Jun 2004 23:39
Thanks for the update - I didn’t manage to get along; I wasn’t really certain what it was about, but it sounds more interesting than I’d imagined. While not a hard-core comic history buff, I do find it interesting, and the slide show would have been vwery informative.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!