Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin - does he own a gun?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Jyrki21
#11 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 15:00
Also in Explorer's on the moon, does Wolff die? He goes off into space but he may have found an asteroid with a breathable atmosphere.

Not very likely. :) Actually, Hergé himself has been quoted as saying that he was annoyed that he had to put language into Wolff's suicide note suggesting that he might find a way to survive... he had to do this because of pressure not to spook his younger readers (either at the time or in a subsequent edition, I don't quite remember).

Hergé's wording was something like "Wolff is dead and he knows it."
jockosjungle
#12 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 15:10
Yeh I know he's dead, but to be honest I thought his self sacrifice was one of the most tear jerking moments in any Tintin book

Rik
jock123
#13 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 15:19
I’ve just taken the liberty, and started a new thread to cover the Wolff death question, as I think it’s interesting in its own right. Hope you don’t mind, as it’s not strictly a gun-related issue.

In re: Tintin himself owning a gun, I’d be interested to know if it was legal for him to have a hand-gun in Belgium in the first place? Would he be allowed to carry it anyway? I could see him doing target practice at a club, or clay-pigeon shooting with a shotgun at Marlinspike, but not actually having one at Labrador Road.

Perhaps his fire-arms knowledge would come out of National Service experience? Could that in turn give us a handle on his age?
GurraJG
#14 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 18:57
there are 4 deaths in The Broken Ear, a Hari-Kari in Lotus

Does anyone mind remainding me of who dies in The Broken Ear? I can't seem to be able to find my copy of the book. Also, what page is the Hari-Kari on in The Blue Lotus?

And it also seems kind of wierd that Tintin has a gun. I could understand it if he was a detective like the Thompsons, but he is a journalist, and the last time I checked, journalists aren't given guns.

-Gustav
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#15 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 19:07
In The Broken Ear, first the sculptor Balthazar is killed by Rodrigo Tortilla, then Tortilla himself by Ramon and Alonszo. Next, in San Theodoros the treacherous terrorist Corporal Diaz is killed by his own bomb. Finally Ramon and Alonszo drown while fighting Tintin after falling overboard from the SS Washington.
GurraJG
#16 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 19:22
Oh, so there are 5 deaths...

Thanks, edcharlesadams.

Still, what about the Hari-Kari in Lotus?

-Gustav
Harrock n roll
#17 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 19:55
edcharlesadams wrote:
in San Theodoros the treacherous terrorist Corporal Diaz is killed by his own bomb.

Well spotted/remembered Ed, I forgot about that one

GurraJG wrote:
Still, what about the Hari-Kari in Lotus?

That was Mitsuhirato commiting suicide. Hari-kari (however you want to spell it) is ritual suicide by self-disembowelment on a sword; originally practiced by warriors in the traditional Japanese society, it was considered an honourable death after disgracing oneself.

Cheery subject this isn't it ....? :)
GurraJG
#18 · Posted: 10 Jun 2004 15:16
Harrock n roll
That was Mitsuhirato commiting suicide.

Yeah, now I remember.

Cheery subject this isn't it ....? :)

Oh, yes, quite.

And now, to something a little more on topic. While re-reading The Broken Ear, I noticed that Tintin seems to have a gun.

-Gustav
pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#19 · Posted: 11 Jun 2004 02:13
Jock123 wrote:
In re: Tintin himself owning a gun, I’d be interested to know if it was legal for him to have a hand-gun in Belgium in the first place? Would he be allowed to carry it anyway? I could see him doing target practice at a club, or clay-pigeon shooting with a shotgun at Marlinspike, but not actually having one at Labrador Road.

In all likelihood, gun laws in Belgium at that time were very lax, if existent. And with Tintin's already famous history and considerable gun use, it's probable he could get a gun licence (if necessary) easily.

However, The Broken Ear is the book that is closest to a 1930s Hollywood thriller (at least the first half), and I don't think realistic social/political portrayal had much influence. :)

Paul
tom
#20 · Posted: 30 Dec 2004 08:01
There is little doubt that Tintin's skills at acquiring guns when he doesnt have one already are beyond reproach - notably in America and Black Island when on both occasions he uses his hand as an alternative ;"Reach for it, pals! Lay down your guns! Move one muscle and I'll blow your brains out! Thanks! Much obliged, since I hadn,t a gun of my own..."(pg 13/14) - a trick repeated in Black Island, though not quite so successfully (pg 49) ;)

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!