Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Hergé: A Fascist?

SingingGandalf
#1 · Posted: 17 Mar 2006 17:08
Now, we all know Hergé didn't support fascism, but here are some points to show that:
- Hergé makes the Fascist Bordurians baddies.
- The Nazis banned two of Hergé's books, Tintin in America, and The Black Island.
- There are 'non-Aryans' as goodies in the books.
- Hergé helped conceal his brother, a resistance fighter, when the Nazis overtook Belgium.
Stas Werno
#2 · Posted: 18 Mar 2006 07:23
When this subject crops up it's more racism my friends seem to worry about.
He said he was ashamed of the way he portrayed Africans in the Congo book, and yet years later in Red Sea Sharks he protrays them again as simpletons.
The Japanese in The Blue Lotus are portrayed as bad people and nothing but.
SingingGandalf
#3 · Posted: 18 Mar 2006 09:13
The Soviets are also seen as evil stereotypes.
I very much doubt he was racist, as he portrayed the Tibetans in a good light.
yamilah
#4 · Posted: 7 Apr 2006 14:07
Hergé & Tintin are certainly no Fascists, but according to Belgian Rexist SS Leon Degrelle, Tintin & his quiff were inspired by a portrait of himself when he was aged 20!
SingingGandalf
#5 · Posted: 7 Apr 2006 20:07
but according to Belgian Rexist SS Leon Degrelle, Tintin & his quiff were inspired by a portrait of himself when he was aged 20!

We mustn't forget that he probably did have an effect on Herge, as they were both young men working for the same newspaper. Even if Hitler described him as 'the son I never had', we can't dismiss that he may have had an effect on Tintin, however small.
yamilah
#6 · Posted: 7 Apr 2006 20:33
As far as I know, Degrelle never worked at Le Soir...
SingingGandalf
#7 · Posted: 7 Apr 2006 21:30
Degrelle never worked at Le Soir...

No, they both worked at Le Vingtème Siècle before the war.
tinus42
#8 · Posted: 25 May 2009 16:43
The Japanese were quite evil when they invaded China in the 1930s. Read something about the Rape of Nanking e.g. Are WWII movies which portray Germans in a bad light racist?

Moderator Note: Welcome to the forums! The thread has wandered a little over its course, but the topic is facism, rather than racism, per se, so let's try to focus on that aspect.
mrkarabine
#9 · Posted: 8 Jan 2012 03:59
From what I can see the big problem for many Europeans was Communism.

Land of the Soviets seems to be an exposé of the Soviet regime, Hergé refers to fake industry, and the oppression of the Kulaks for example, and the dangers of traveling there.

The fascists were opposed to the communists, and if one reads of the Cheka's terror, and the forced starvation in the Ukraine, one would say they and everyone else had good reason to be concerned.

We see fascism through the post-war Nuremberg Nazi-criminalizing lens, but the Europeans of occupied Europe did not, many saw it as a bulwark against the Red Terror.

I wonder if Hergé had been captured by the Communists, whether he would have lived. A lot of Europe was happy to live and let live under the Occupation.

Hergé seemed to make fun of everyone, including the Bordurians, as militarists, and Americans as banker exploiters and drug runners, insurance salesmen everywhere, and opera singers.

I don't think there was anything political here at all. His characters were just plain funny!
Furienna
#10 · Posted: 1 Jul 2019 00:16
Stas Werno:
He said he was ashamed of the way he portrayed Africans in the Congo book, and yet years later in Red Sea Sharks he protrays them again as simpletons.
Maybe so, but it seems to me like Hergé was at least trying to do Africans better that time around. I would say that the Nigerians in "Sharks" also are less crude than the Congolese in Congo.
Stas Werno:
The Japanese in The Blue Lotus are portrayed as bad people and nothing but.
We have to remember that those Japanese were occupying another country, so it was natural that they would be portrayed negatively. And there is also a more sympathetic Japanese character in Crab with the Golden Claws.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!