Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Tintin cartoons - Virgin video releases

kirthiboy
#1 · Posted: 18 Feb 2004 12:57
I have Virgin Video VHS tape of "The Secret of the Unicorn" and "Red Rackham's treasure"! I don't know if any others have seen it but its kinda nice though they have changed major part of the storyline. I like Captain Haddock and Tintin's voices. In the comic part, the bird brother never appears in Red Rackham Treasure during the treasure hunt. But in this episode, he appears and interferes with the treasure hunt.

Example:

The scene starts from the prison where Max Bird escapes with an accomplice. Then they reveal Haddock being fussed when the news reporters get to know about the treasure. Then some bits from the comic part where Thomson n Thompson come and they get to meet Professor Calculus with added humor parts.

Some part they have changed totally. Like when they dig near the eagle cross, they are surrounded by some tribal people. These tribes capture Tintin and the gang though Captian Haddock escapes along with Tintin. The tribe people worship the idol of Francis Haddock. Using Tintin's idea (as usual) Haddock gives voice to the idol and saves Thomson n Thompson.

I have also seen the Bene Vision one all of them and they are more based on the comic book. So, anybody else has these Virgin Video Tintin Series as other Titles that are available are "The Shooting Star", "Destination Moon" and "Explorers on the moon" combo one.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#2 · Posted: 18 Feb 2004 18:42
These are the titles of the episodes in the Belvision series:
Objective Moon Espionage (the two moon books in one episode)
The Crab With The Golden Claws
The Secret of the Unicorn
Red Rackham's Treasure
The Shooting Star
Black Island
The Calculus Case
I have all of them on VHS tape from the 80s.
purrcafe
#3 · Posted: 2 Sep 2004 20:36
Are the seven titles that you list above the old movies from the early 1970s? I used to see them on TV when I was a little kid and I loved them. Been trying to find copies on video (or DVD) for years and years. If anyone has these and wouldn't mind doing me a great, great favor, please contact me offlist at purrcafe@earthlink.net

Thanks.

David
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 3 Sep 2004 01:11
The tv series is from 1959-1963 I believe. The stories were put to video in the late 1980's and are very rare, but can occasionally be found on www.ebay.com
Good luck!
jock123
#5 · Posted: 3 Sep 2004 07:22
purrcafe, Channel 5 here in the U.K. recently showed “Lake of Sharks” and “Prisoners of the Sun”, which were made as movies, and a “movie-length” version of “The Calculus Affair”, which compiled the 5 minute BelVision episodes into one feature. I think at the time someone here may have said that the Cartoon Network had shown the compiled versions of other stories, so keep your eyes peeled - theymay get a showing in your area!
SingingGandalf
#6 · Posted: 11 Apr 2006 17:49
Objective Moon Espionage (the two moon books in one episode)

Hi tintinuk, this is a common misconception. 'Objective moon espionage' is the first episode and 'Explorers of the moon' is another, though on the video they are combined. They may also have been shown together originally. I think that it was called 'objective moon' as a bad translation of 'Objectif moon' meaning 'destination moon'.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#7 · Posted: 11 Apr 2006 18:37
Hi tintinuk, this is a common misconception

It's not a misconception. It was originally made as one episode. Virgin Video tried to split the episode into two parts, but carried it out badly, and ended up repeating about 10 minutes of the cartoon. :o)

This topic is closed.