Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

Quick et Flupke - DVD information

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#1 · Posted: 22 Aug 2005 19:32
Today, I received a DVD of the Quick et Flupke cartoon series from France. I just thought it would be good to bring the three Quick et Flupke releases to the attention of the forums. I'm not sure exactly how long they've been on public release - but the cartoons are absolutely fantastic pieces of animation ! The cartoons are very faithful to the original stories, and capture the spirit of the books (I've included the cover art below).

The DVD I purchased, Jeux Interdits, contains 41 two-and-a-half-minute cartoons, all in French, without subtitles. As the dialogue is limited, and the humour is mostly visual, I don't think anyone would have any problems understanding the cartoons.

If anyone would like to purchase the DVDs, there's always eBay (where I got mine) and there are quite a few sellers offering them at similar prices. There are also several online DVD stores selling them, but strangely, not Amazon.fr.

Anyway, they're fantastic value for money - and region-free PAL, so I thought someone might be interested in them !
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 22 Aug 2005 21:29
I never knew of these until Tintinuk pointed them out to me! I have seen a couple of the shorts though at the Belgium Comic Book Museum and can vouch for the quality of the cartoons.

I ordered the 3 off Ebay, are these the only ones available?

Rik
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#3 · Posted: 23 Aug 2005 18:48
To my knowledge, Rik, only these three have been released. Watching the cartoons today, I found a very amusing episode in which Quick et Flupke kidnap Hergé, who is forced by both them and the policeman to redraw their faces. They all end up looking like Tintin ! Hilarious stuff !
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 23 Aug 2005 19:28
HAHA that sounds great, cannot wait for mine to arrive.

Are these DVD direct translations of the book on the cover? I.e. Are the sketches in the book the same on the DVD.

I hope so as the Pear sketch from Double Trouble is my favourite cartoon of all time

Rik
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#5 · Posted: 23 Aug 2005 19:59
Well, as I don't have any French editions of the books, I couldn't say. But several of the incidents which appear in Two Of A Kind appear in the Jeux Interdits DVD (as I expect the rest would be spread over all twelve French editions), including 'Handyman' ; in which a box manages to knock them both out - and 'Quick At The Wheel' ; in which Quick accidently 'drives' a car.

I haven't seen the whole DVD yet (I've still got 20 minutes left !), but 'Manners' (the pear sketch) may well be there - isn't it in Two Of A Kind, though, rather than Double Trouble ?

----
UPDATE: Posted: 25 Aug 2005
I can now confirm that more of the incidents from "Two of a Kind" are included : "Manners" ; "How to Build a Glider" ; "Musical Ear" ; "Lucky Strike" ; "A Present for Aunt Mary" and "Hot Stuff".
Enjoy the DVDs, Rik ! :o)
SingingGandalf
#6 · Posted: 21 Apr 2006 17:05
My copy of 'coups de bluff' just arrived. I have to say that I'm not overly impressed by the stories (I have never been able to get my hands on a book before), and the animation isn't too brilliant. It's much more like the Tintin Belevision series than Ellipse/Nelvana.

Overall, they are not bad adaptations, but the thing that most let me down was the stories - I thought that all the care and realism of Tintin was lost. I mean, people could breath underwater in it, and the police officer fished a sleeping man and his bed out of the river! Why! I also wondered why when a tap burst, all of their clothes came off and they were left naked! The beginning bit was also very psycadelic, with bright colours and post boxes etc. coming alive.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 21 Apr 2006 17:46
SingingGandalf
Overall, they are not bad adaptations, but the thing that most let me down was the stories - I thought that all the care and realism of Tintin was lost.

I must admit that I've never actually read any Quick & Flupke stories, apart from the extracts reproduced in the Chronologie series. But from what I can gather, Hergé drew them as a sort of throwaway alternative to Tintin; he was limited in Tintin to accuracy and realism, so in Q&F he was able to explore the sillier side of life, indulging in jokes and mischief. I presume they're not part of the Tintinverse.
jockosjungle
#8 · Posted: 21 Apr 2006 22:36
They really are only short sketches, no sort of narrative except a silly throw away story. I love them, I think they;re really funny.

Rik
number1fan
#9 · Posted: 22 Apr 2006 12:47
how comes they havent done destination new york or Mr pumps legacy?
SingingGandalf
#10 · Posted: 23 Apr 2006 11:17
how comes they havent done destination new york or Mr pumps legacy?

They are J, Z and Js, not Q&Fs. Only 3 Q&F have been made into DVDs. If you mean, why hasn't any one done a J,Z and J TV series, I don't know, maybe it wouldn't be as popular as Tintin or Q&F, which seem to be more popular on mainland Europe. There would also only be 5 episodes, while they made loads of mini episodes for Q and F, and 21 for Tintin.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!