Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Cigars of the Pharaoh: black and white English version release date

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Duke Snowy
#41 · Posted: 18 Apr 2006 14:04
The person I spoke to at Last Gasp said "Orient 1" and "Orient 2" would be released by November to be in time for holiday sales. However he sounded uncertain and as we all know, Last Gasp has already rescheduled release dates of "Cigars of the Pharaoh". Also, as edcharlesadams pointed out, there has been no indication yet that "Blue Lotus" will be released. If more definitive information surfaces, I'm sure it will appear on this forum... :)
number1fan
#42 · Posted: 18 Apr 2006 20:44
I can't see that both Orient storys will come out at the same time; we have waited so long for the Cigars of the Pharaoh black and white edition.
I don't see why it takes so long for them to be released as they have already been written.
Rocky
#43 · Posted: 25 Apr 2006 23:36
Last Gasp's website now says Cigars and Lotus are expected to be available in November 2006.
heruursmith
#44 · Posted: 26 Apr 2006 10:20
Sounds excellent. They must have decided that was the sensible marketing thing to do (releasing them together that is). Releasing them a year ago would have been good too!
lol
I can't wait.
:)

Kam
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#45 · Posted: 28 Apr 2006 22:28
That is good news, thanks for that Rocky. This isn't the thread to discuss The Blue Lotus so I won't, suffice to say I am looking forward to the black-and-white version of that one very much in particular.

Amazon.co.uk now gives the release date for Cigars as July 30th, though no doubt that will be updated to November once that date has pased...

Ed
edcharlesadams
#46 · Posted: 14 Jun 2006 11:02
Amazon.co.uk now gives the release date for Cigars as July 30th, though no doubt that will be updated to November once that date has pased...

It's now been updated to January 2007, to tie in with the Blue Lotus release as expected.

Ed
edcharlesadams
#47 · Posted: 14 Jul 2006 10:54
Stop press!

I have received an email from the Tintin Shop (London) saying that copies of both the Cigars and Lotus English facsimiles have arrived. A significant improvement on the November release date!

Ed
number1fan
#48 · Posted: 14 Jul 2006 14:49
I hope they dont sell out too quickly.
Because i dont think they will get a reprint like Tintin in the Congo did
heruursmith
#49 · Posted: 16 Jul 2006 01:05
Wow that is a nice surprise! Thanks for sharing that!

Is it likely that other online retailers (e.g. Amazon.com where I have ordered these books) will get their copies soon too then? I guess that the Tintin shop has a special relationship with publishers of Tintin material and get their copies first as a result?

Kam
edcharlesadams
#50 · Posted: 17 Jul 2006 21:34
I received my copy today and wasn’t disappointed. The true cover is much nicer than the mock-ups found on the Web: the lettering of the title is in the style of the old black-and-white editions rather than the modern colour editions’ style pasted on, the subtitle “Tintin in the Orient 1” has been omitted, and the design is identical to that of the Tintin in America facsimile from 2004. You can put the two next to each other and they actually look part of the same series. The same red cloth for the spines is also used.

Once again the text has been typeset rather than handwritten, which still looks slightly clumsy. But at this stage it seems that Hergé was taking greater care in making his speech bubbles look regular, and the overall effect is an improvement on that of America. The four colour hors-texte pages are included, and several scenes that were cut for the colour edition. Also - another welcome improvement - page numbers are included.

If you were here two years ago you may remember the surprise that Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper wasn’t credited alongside Michael Turner for the translation of the Tintin in America facsimile (see this thread). Prepare for a bigger surprise: in this edition of Cigars of the Pharaoh, the credit reads: “Translated by Michael Turner and Tessa Harrow”. Assuming this isn’t a mistake, it would be the first time that anyone outside of the Leslie-and-Michael pairing has translated Hergé’s work officially. There was some suggestion that the credit last time was a mistake; can anyone shed any light on the circumstances this time around?

My thoughts on the facsimile of The Blue Lotus are in the related thread.

Ed

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!