Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Little Britain

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

SingingGandalf
#1 · Posted: 14 May 2006 12:54
Hi everybody
I was wondering, as many of us here come from the UK, what you thought of the TV comedy sketch show 'Little Britain' by Matt Lucas and David Walliams. It has also been shown in many other countries (I believe that the full number was 26!) so many of us may have seen it. It's causing quite a debate, but has successfully done 3 series' and a comic relief special. Do people find it too overly vulgar, or are there some fans out there?
number1fan
#2 · Posted: 14 May 2006 15:22
I think little Britain has to be the best sketch show of the last few years,with the absense of great sketch shows like the fast show,goodness gracious me and the day today it seems there isnt enough funny britcoms these days.
SingingGandalf
#3 · Posted: 15 May 2006 16:02
Personally I find it going over the top too often. some of the sketches are just not funny, and they repeat the same joke over and over again - with the same characters! (i.e. old lady weeing herself, Andy doing something when Lou's not looking, Mr. Mann wanting something impossible in a shop like a painting of a displeased owl). But there are some great sketches too - Vicky Pollard telling her social services helper that she's swapped her baby for a Westlife CD! Andy getting out of his wheelchair, turning it over, and lying on the floor. Then when his helper Lou comes over, Andy blames it on lou's girlfriend saying 'she pushed me'. Ha, classic!
There are a few great sketches, but I think it would be better if they had other writers.
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 15 May 2006 21:46
I have to admit I am not a fan, it was funny for one episode and that was all. it is the same with any sketch comedy (Harry Enfield, Fast Show, etc) and that all they do is rehash the same catch phrases and situations over and over again.

They're simply over milking it by keep making new episodes.

Rik
SingingGandalf
#5 · Posted: 16 May 2006 15:22
They're simply over milking it by keep making new episodes

Unless they constantly get new material that is better written. Personally I would love to see a show like Mr. Bean, but starring only Andy and Lou.
Martin
#6 · Posted: 21 Jun 2006 15:54
I've never seen it because I chucked my TV out years ago and haven't looked back, but I loved the BBC Radio 4 version that started it all off. Tom Baker's narration is hilarious and Vicky Pollard is a brilliant creation.
Stas Werno
#7 · Posted: 5 Aug 2006 20:06
I think it's hardly vulgar as it's aimed at the mass TV watchers. I enjoyed it a couple times but after that it just gets samey and typical. I prefer more substance to my comedy :) Anything Chris Morris touches turns to gold (The Day Today, Brasseye), the Mighty Boosh is genius, Garth Marenghi... love it :)
number1fan
#8 · Posted: 6 Aug 2006 10:53
Little Britain is the best sketch show of the 'naughties'. im going to see it live in october
Stas Werno
#9 · Posted: 6 Aug 2006 12:27
Little Britain is the best sketch show of the 'naughties'

i dont think that's saying much considering the competition is catherine tate and some failed shows on bbc3!
Tintinrulz
#10 · Posted: 7 Aug 2006 08:46
In general I love British comedy. Little Britain I don't like so much though. It's overally offensive for my liking and as others have said too much is repeated (and I've only seen 2 episodes). I much prefer Fawlty Towers, Ripping Yarns, Blackadder and especially Black Books. Comic Gold that one!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!