Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Blake & Mortimer: The Nelvana series on DVD

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Tintinrulz
#11 · Posted: 15 May 2006 11:57
I'll have to see if they have them somewhere in Australia. Otherwise it's off to Ebay...

Are there any trailers of Blake and Mortimer online or whatever to give me any idea of what they are like. I've heard they are a bit similar to Tintin and Biggles.
Thanks!
SingingGandalf
#12 · Posted: 15 May 2006 15:40
Are there any trailers of Blake and Mortimer online or whatever to give me any idea of what they are like. I've heard they are a bit similar to Tintin and Biggles

Basically, though I am new to the stories myself (thanks to tybaltstone to introducing them to me), they are slightly more detailed and realistic than Tintin in the drawing style but the stories lack the characters, story developement and realism of Tintin. They are set around the 1950s, with 2 British gentlemen, officer Blake and professor Mortimer who go on adventures. it's more sci-fi than Tintin, with things like time travel, ghosts, 2000 year old Indian emperors, Atlantis etc.
Also, does anyone know if 'the U-ray' is on this box set as it's meant to be set in an alternate universe so is not one of the main set of 17 books.
jock123
#13 · Posted: 15 May 2006 17:38
SingingGandalf
oes anyone know if 'the U-ray' is on this box set as it's meant to be set in an alternate universe so is not one of the main set of 17 books.

The U-Ray story is a collection of Jacob's knock-off Flash Gordon stories, rather than a Blake & Mortimer book, so no, it isn't in this collection. I don't think it has been animated.

Jacobs stepped in to continue an on-going Alex Raymond Flash Gordon adventure, mimicking Alex Raymond's style, when the originals obviously became unavailable at the outbreak of the Second World War. After a period, even that work was banned, thanks to intervention by both the copyright holders, and the Germans, who weren't that keen on an American hero appearing, even in "fake" strips by a Belgian!

He then drew his own strip - in style and layout very much like Raymond's - during the Occupation of Belgium - I don't have reference to hand as to what he called the characters, but they were Flash and Dale in all but name.

The story had limited dialogue through speech balloons, relying mostly on panels of text.
Two of the characters facially resemble Blake and Mortimer, because he used the same models for the likeness - Jacques Van Melkebeke for "Mortimer" and Jacques Laudy for "Blake" (but they aren't those characters).
The first B&M strips are very like Raymond, if anything closer to him than to Hergé, which in my opinion makes them accomplished, but rather static and lifeless.
Later in his career, Jacobs reformatted and re-drew the whole of The "U" Ray as a standard strip cartoon, with speech balloons, but it remains a non-Blake & Mortimer adventure in its own continuity.
SingingGandalf
#14 · Posted: 15 May 2006 18:35
Thanks jock, I knew about Flash Gordon and that The "U" Ray was similar, but I read something about it containing Blake & Mortimer from a different universe, though that may be that the characters in it inspired Blake and Mortimer.
Also, the books contain a little Blake & Mortimer emblem at the bottom, as does The "U" Ray, suggesting it is a Blake & Mortimer book.

Thanks for confirming that, jock.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#15 · Posted: 15 May 2006 23:21
SingingGandalf
I read something about it containing [i]Blake & Mortimer from a different universe[/i]

I think the best way to describe it would be to say that as Totor is to Tintin, The "U" Ray is to Blake and Mortimer. As jock said, it's very close to Flash Gordon; Jacobs had to cobble an ending together for the strip running at the time as it ceased to be available in wartime, and began his own in the same vein- hence The "U" Ray.

The books contain a little Blake & Mortimer emblem at the bottom, as does The "U" Ray

I think that's the publisher's logo. All Jacobs' work is published by Les Éditions du Blake et Mortimer, a division of Dargaud. Apparently it was reissued as volume 0, suggesting a precursor to the B&M series.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!