Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin and the Secret of Literature - Tom McCarthy

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

yamilah
#11 · Posted: 10 Apr 2006 14:40
Which book are you speaking about? Considering its title, let's hope The Secret of Literature will go deeper into secret literary procedures, which were ignored in Le Secret d'Herge, thirteen years ago...

After you read this latter book, you might well just wonder "What a strange theory: how come an unknown ancestor can be so disturbing a family secret that the presumed 'victim' spent most of his lifetime to echo it in his art"?

Such a 'Much ado about nothing' sounds totally unreal to people used to deal with real children's secrets, i.e. problems that certainly can't just be addressed with lol's...
Tintinrulz
#12 · Posted: 11 Apr 2006 10:02
I'm talking about The Secret of Literature book. I don't understand much of your post. Is English your first language?
yamilah
#13 · Posted: 12 Apr 2006 13:31
Sorry if I'm sometimes too much elliptic...
I've just edited my previous post. Thanks for telling if anything is still unclear!

PS: my first language is French, and everybody is welcome to help plain English renderings!
Tintinrulz
#14 · Posted: 12 Apr 2006 14:20
Okay, French that's cool. Sorry about this: I don't understand what you are trying to say here...

"What a strange theory: how come an unknown ancestor can be so disturbing a family secret that the presumed 'victim' spent most of his lifetime to echo it in his art"?
yamilah
#15 · Posted: 12 Apr 2006 17:08
To put it differently, psychoanalysis asserts Tintin holds a story in the story* connected with a child suffering because of his unknown father, but actually only reports about Herge's unknown ancestor (his father's father), a secret which doesn't belong to Herge and is thus as frustrating* as the meaning of Tintin's 'name' in French!

How could someone totally unknown to a child be more harmful to him than e.g. living close relatives?

see also http://www.psychomag.com/cfml/dossier/c_dossier.cfm?id=536

* please search for related threads.
Tintinrulz
#16 · Posted: 13 Apr 2006 10:08
I'm not sure I'm following you but maybe a little. Sort of like Sins of the father, except this is Sins of the Grandfather?
yamilah
#17 · Posted: 21 Apr 2006 19:03
I simply meant one can reasonably and sensibly doubt an ancestor who is totally unknown to his grandson can cause any suffering for the latter...

see bias in http://www.psychomag.com/cfml/dossier/c_dossier.cfm?id=536
Harrock n roll
#18 · Posted: 26 Jun 2006 14:22
As part of the "Undercover Surrealism" exhibition the Haywood Gallery in London is hosting a literature event called Van Gogh, Sacrificial Mutilation And The Dark Side Of Tintin which will include the Secret of Literature author, Tom McCarthy. It's on July 12th, 6.30pm.

And The Economist magazine has given the book a review Tintin and the broken metaphor.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#19 · Posted: 26 Jun 2006 22:45
I'm not sure how to follow the Economist's review: it looks like it will be an interesting read, to say the least(!)

Tom McCarthy is also in conversation at the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London on July 8th, and is discussing and signing his books at Ottakar's in Putney on July 11th.

Ed
yamilah
#20 · Posted: 27 Jun 2006 09:13
edcharlesadams
(...) it looks like it will be an interesting read, to say the least (!)

It will, if it's a satire of the most 'serious' studies made on Tintin under the cover of human and occult sciences!

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!