Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Moi Tintin (documentary film)

skut
#1 · Posted: 22 Jul 2006 21:00
I really liked "Tintin & I" but found it a little flat. Harry Thompson's book on Tintin is really the best book you can get to learn of Herge's love/hate relationship with his creation.

There was a documentary in the 1980s that I saw as a kid called "Moi, Tintin" which I remember being really great (even with more than 20 years clouding my judgement). Does anyone else remember it?

--
[Post moved by Moderator from related thread Tintin and I - airing in the US in July 2006.]
Ambrose
#2 · Posted: 24 Jul 2006 18:41
There was a documentary in the 1980s that I saw as a kid called "Moi, Tintin" which I remember being really great

While building my Tintin website, which I hope to put on here, I have come across it. I believe that it was made in either 1966 or 1976. But I know nothing else.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 26 Jul 2006 09:49
skut
Does anyone else remember it?
Yes, it was made for French TV, and released on video. I’ve got a pre-recorded VHS copy somewhere, and is quite good.

Some short portions of it were used as a video presentation at the “Tintin in the City” exhibition in Brussels (actually, at this distance, I now am not sure if it was a short portion of it, or whether I may only have watched a short portion of it, and they showed the whole thing, but that doesn’t really matter…).

I also seem to remember that Tintin et Moi used little bits of it (notably Hergé dressed in a Tintin outfit, performing poses which then appear as Tintin drawings on screen), but I’d need to rewatch them to be sure.

Update: the store at tintin.com has now got a limited edition two-DVD set of both Moi, Tintin and Tintin et Moi listed.
sliat_1981
#4 · Posted: 28 May 2007 08:08
I have it. It was on SBS here. It's listed on the IMDB as 1976, but it couldnt have been as it has footage of Herge meeting Chang.
jock123
#5 · Posted: 27 Jun 2007 23:58
number1fan
Yes its a very good documentry. it is on amazon quite cheap well last christmas they was £1.99
sliat_1981
It's listed on the IMDB as 1976
I see a little confusion is creeping in here“
It is the documentary Moi, Tintin (the subject of this thread) which is the one listed for 1976; Tintin et Moi is a separate film, made more recently, and that is the one with the footage of Chang in it, I think you’ll find. Moi, Tintin hasn’t had a UK release, and sadly therefore isn’t to be found for £1.99 at your local video outlet.
sliat_1981
#6 · Posted: 10 Aug 2007 10:56
No, jock, I taped this movie off SBS years before Tintin Et Moi existed (in 1995). I have never seen it on video it was on SBS (Special Broadcasting Service) a tv channel. The majority of the film shows Herge talking in front of the wall of the inside cover of the book (the 1976 footage I presume). But after they get to the Tintin In Tibet adventure, the footage of Herge and Chang meeting is entact. Since I can not put anything linking here, I can not show you screenshots of it.
I will list a few things about it that distinguish it from Tintin Et Moi.
*It opens with the I, Tintin book and shows Herge standing in front of the book cover.
*Although showing the footage of him meeting Chang, after the footage it goes back to the 1976 footage, where Herge is noticibly younger (although it shows an older Herge attending the Tintin statue unveiling.
*It never makes any mention of Herge's death (although the subtitles are credited as being made in 1992) and seems to suggest that Herge is still creating Tintin books.
*The very last shot has Herge saying "In fact, Tintin is a bit like me". He then stretchs his arms out and then it cuts to a picture of Tintin in a similar pose as the credits roll.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 10 Aug 2007 13:12
I believe there's two different versions of Moi, Tintin. The first was made in 1976, and mostly features Hergé talking about the albums in order, in front of the giant book and him dressed as Tintin acting out the poses. It's intercut with contemporary newsreel footage, like the '69 Moon landing etc. There's also footage of Hergé drawing what was to be Tintin and the Picaros.

The second version, from 1992 according to the credits, features a shortened discussion of the albums (reduced to about half the film), and includes the footage of Hergé's meeting with Chang, which occurred after the film was originally made. Just to complicate things a bit more, the 1992 film is shorter than the original at 52 mins, despite having the added Hergé and Chang interview, whereas the original was closer to 80 mins (I think).

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!