Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in Tibet: opening scene - where has Tintin been?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Levent
#11 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 12:49
I have both English and Turkish translations. You can read Vargen word on envelope, the "n" letter seems "se" in handwriting, but if you examine other words on envelope, you see that it is Vargen.

I search Vargen in Google yesterday and found two towns named Vargen in a tourism site[www.destination...?], one is in Sweden and other is in Brazil, but I could not find that tourism site again.
Harrock n roll
#12 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 13:52
Levent wrote: if you examine other words on envelope, you see that it is Vargen.

Here's a scan of the envelope from an English edition. It looks very much like “Vargèse” to me.
Levent
#13 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 17:03
We have different versions, the scanned one you linked is not original because it mentions Marlinspike, not Mulinsart. In my albums the envelope is original artwork of Herge and the word is Vargen. Turkish album was translated from French version Tintin au Tibet. Here is:

Far proseguire
Castello di
Mulinsart

Signor Tintin
Hotel "La vetta"
36, via del Labrador
Vargen

Translation in English:

To forward
Castle of
Mulinsart

Mr. Tintin
Hotel "The summit"
36, via of the Labrador
Vargen

[Note the stamps. They are not face to face, other than this the value of stamp that bears woman valued 30 cents and the other stamp valued one dollar. This is a different subject]
yamilah
#14 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 17:13
Levent
Turkish album was translated from French version Tintin au Tibet. Here is:

Far proseguire
Castello di
Mulinsart

Signor Tintin
Hotel "La vetta"
36, via del Labrador
Vargen

Err... I'm afraid this is no French but Italian!
Harrock n roll
#15 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 17:28
the scanned one you linked is not original because it mentions Marlinspike, not Mulinsart.

No, indeed. I assumed in your ealier post that you thought the English edition had Vargen. However, I also scanned the original French version (from the colour facsimile) and it looks like this.

I can see how the “se” might look like an “n”, As mentioned here previously, the original magazine version has an opening panel showing a road sign which reads ”Bienvenue à Vargese” (this panel was dropped for the book to fit in the title).
Mikael Uhlin
#16 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 19:07
I agree with both of you. Here's a scan from the Swedish translation where it looks very much like "Vargen". Maybe there's a common source which garbled Vargese to Vargen. (NOTE: This is from the first Swedish translation. All albums have recently been re-released with new translations but I haven't a copy of Tibet available at the moment).

However, I'm sure that Hergé intended the town/village to be named Vargèse. Here's a scan from Tintin magazine #38 1958 and the start of Tibet. It's a bad scan but I can't magnify it more. However, that "Bienvenue à Vargese"-sign in the first panel is quite visible.
Levent
#17 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 20:04
It is clear that the name of town is Vargese, but I did not understand why the first cell has been dropped in albums. The translators and publishers must not change original drawings of Herge, you see the result, the wires crossed. Billions of blue blistering barnacles !!!! Where is Vargese? Vargese means a person like Milanese? Herge inspired it from where?? Billions of blue blistering..........
Mikael Uhlin
#18 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 20:17
Levent wrote: I did not understand why the first cell has been dropped in albums. The translators and publishers must not change original drawings of Herge

In this case I think Hergé himself was involved when the album was prepared. At the same time, the original
pages 37 and 38 was reduced to one page.

Where is Vargese?

Like has been stated before in this thread, Vargèse is a fictional place in the French Alps, also appearing in the Jo, Zette and Jocko episode Valley of Cobras.

Vargese means a person like Milanese? Herge inspired it from where??

Maybe a French-speaking person can explain this. Yamilah?
Levent
#19 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 20:35
Look, what I have found, not Vargese but Varghese means George in Malayalam [India] language. Ring a bell?
yamilah
#20 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 20:41
Mikael Uhlin
Maybe a French-speaking person can explain this. Yamilah?

Imho, Herge either just invented it or -as mentioned at the beginning of this thread- borrowed that European looking Indian* family name in order to kind of amplify* Tintin's strange zig-zag* visit later in New Delhi, a visit that seems connected with a unique writing system as well as with the title of a book by an erstwhile European draughtsman*!

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!