Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: Remastered DVD Boxset

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

loopsamples
#1 · Posted: 31 Aug 2006 08:42
The Tintin official store has just added the complete box set, which they say plays on any screen. The price is a bit high ($168), but the box looks promising as the picture has been remastered.

http://www.store.tintin.com/en/index.cfm?store_page=product_info.cfm&p rod_id=1028&cat=144&cat_up=69
number1fan
#2 · Posted: 31 Aug 2006 12:02
£129 is extrmely pricey when you can pick up the tintin 75th aniversary boxset for about £10 in my local computer game exchange shop if they make the episodes in widescreen format the color would look so much better
jock123
#3 · Posted: 31 Aug 2006 12:55
loopsamples
which they say plays on any screen

My reading of this is that it is the screen-ratio they are talking about, i.e. they are saying it will work on a wide-screen TV even though it is standard format, rather than the broadcasting format (NTSC/ SECAM/ PAL etc.), or the DVD region, so it might be worth getting further details prior to purchase.

Frankly I am quite happy with the existing box-set, so it would have to be some major overhaul to make me get another.
Danagasta
#4 · Posted: 31 Aug 2006 17:19
4:3 is the standard aspect ratio of a regular, everyday TV set. Most TVs capable of receiving HDTV signals (that are usually in an aspect ratio of 16:9, like movie theatre screens are) can switch over to the standard 4:3 either automatically or with a push of a button or two on the remote.

As for the region lockout issue, it looks like anything they don't specify is Zone 2(Europe and Asia) and is in PAL format.
jockosjungle
#5 · Posted: 31 Aug 2006 18:38
I think it is 4:3 not widescreen, if it is widescreen it is a travesty as the series was filmed in 4:3 and they'd have to cut off the top of the picture to turn it widescreen - sadly this is getting more and more common in the USA.

To be honest I doubt a new 5.1 soundtrack would add much to the series, one for serious collectors with cash only!
Ranko
#6 · Posted: 31 Aug 2006 18:57
I'm with you jock123.

I'm happy with the anniversary boxset. Cost me £19 and the only time I've used them is when I ripped them all to my iPod. I work in IT so it's cool to have an episode on in the background when doing something tedious... like working in IT :-)

I don't like Tintin's voice in the English version anyway. That's my one disappointment of the animated series.
number1fan
#7 · Posted: 31 Aug 2006 19:00
Is this actualy out then becuase i havent seen it advertised on Amazon or play.com £129 certainly alot when you can pick up dvds for £2.99 and boxsets for £10 sometimes i have a button on my tv that makes the dvd go widescreen and by doing that tintin is more colorful and when they say remastred has the colour of the series become brighter?

--
Moderator note: A bit more punctuation (full stops, commas, etc) would make your posts a lot easier to read number1fan. Please, take just a little more time checking your posts before you hit the 'post message' button.
Thanks!
The Happy Tintinologist Team
Danagasta
#8 · Posted: 1 Sep 2006 13:22
I think it is 4:3 not widescreen, if it is widescreen it is a travesty as the series was filmed in 4:3 and they'd have to cut off the top of the picture to turn it widescreen - sadly this is getting more and more common in the USA.

You can actually do that without losing any of the picture. It requires certain editing software though, and it's tedious. I did that with some of my projects in Avid, and it takes a while to change your entire edited program (one of mine that was three minutes long took an hour to switch!!!)
I don't know what the HDTV requirements are in the UK either, but here all local and many cable stations have an HDTV counterpart. That requires widescreen conversions of programs, as well as a few other conversions, to fit the format.
jockosjungle
#9 · Posted: 2 Sep 2006 14:46
HDTV does not require a show to be in widescreen though, the image can be blacklined at the sides.

Could you explain how you widescreen a 4:3 show without losing the picture? I assume you need to add some bits at the side. Regardless all DVD should be in their original aspect ratio in my opinion
number1fan
#10 · Posted: 2 Sep 2006 17:46
Yea but if it is turned into widescreen the color will look better becuase i have a button on my remote that turns my dvds widescreen if there Knot allready and when i done it to tintin there was No lose of picture looks nice and bright

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!