Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Alph-Art: Does Tintin die?

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

yamilah
#11 · Posted: 18 Apr 2006 22:30
Or maybe actually both Lake of Sharks' & Alph-art's expansions have something to do with Roussel's amplified* writing mechanisms?

Earlier in the same cartoon, the Thompsons' hats are duplicated* by another model of Calculus' copying machine (thus itself duplicated), but they do not expand much and just melt rapidly. Later, for a weird reason, the cigars (p.27) are much more spatiotemporal* than the hats (p.12), assuming both machines work similarly!

In the books, Rastapopoulos's cigars are connected with the Pharaoh's sign, a font crossed by an undulating line, which is finally positioned vertically in The Pharaoh's Cigars' ultimate version, as if this font were the visible part of a most special and live writing.

Maybe Herge's weird spatiotemporelle virtualite* -visible thanks to its faults*- is somehow connected with some personal writing and with 'Tintin, Haddock & the others are I'*?

And maybe the track to those faults' origin is as British as L'Ile Noir*, when taken as a local & bilingual password?

* please search for related threads.
rue du labrador
#12 · Posted: 21 May 2006 23:28
You'rr confusing me. I can't really pass judgment on whether Tintin is saved or not, although I do think that Hergé intended Alph-Art to be the final book.
There are found pages from somewhere suggesting he will not be saved, but it was all in French and so I may have missed something.
I rightly remember the quote "il(tintin) ne sera sauve que grace a...-". Hergé described himself as the father of Tintin, would he really kill of his son?
Bear in mind the books where intended for children - would that be entirely appropriate?
tintinisthegreatest
#13 · Posted: 11 Oct 2006 04:39
It doesn't matter if Tintin dies in the book. he would still live on in all of our minds, because, he is immortal and timeless, just like his creator. We shouldn't speculate on something we don't know for sure because no matter how much we talk about it, it doesn't answer the question; the only way we can ever find out is by asking Herge. We should be grateful for what we have, even if some things are left unfinished. I, personally, like the ending the way it is: ambiguous, uncertain, and open to different possibilities; but, with those possibilities, they should not be used to question the intentions of the creator. I mean, come on...we all know that Herge was growing tired of Tintin by this time, but would he really go so far as to kill him? It does a disservice to the character of Tintin and Herge.
Signed,
Tintin is the Greatest!
coco
#14 · Posted: 28 Jul 2010 19:56
midnightblueowl:
Ramo Nash thought yes

What? Ok, i don't understand french, but i have had a look at the end of the RN version, and tintin seems to be in a good condition.

So, can anyone who knows this version and understand french give a short explanation about Tintin's escape (or not?) from the polyester casting?
adventuretimewtintinandsnowy
#15 · Posted: 11 Feb 2012 02:46
Tintin has been in so many impossible and seemingly inescapable situations before...but he always manages to pull through.
printemps
#16 · Posted: 12 Feb 2012 19:34
After I've read "Alph-Art" I thought it over, and somehow the end of this story seems to me the perfect end to the Tintin series. A kind of: "well, he cannot escape from the danger so easily all the time, one day it has to catch up with him". But notice that he isn't dead yet - the story is just left on a cliff-hanger to keep us guessing. Perfect, isn't it? ;)

Once I read Hergé said that he often didn't know how to get his character out of trouble he created for him the previous time. So I can assume that maybe even Hergé himself was not sure yet what would be the end of this story.

My point is - if "Alph-Art" was finished, it would surely have ended well.
bakerychaz
#17 · Posted: 21 Feb 2012 04:09
I SO don't think that Tintin would die. If Herge did make him die, he would devastate many people and children all over the world.
GSC
#18 · Posted: 25 Feb 2012 19:11
dubbs:
It was also his wish that none else draw Tintin after his death, I submit that Tintin does die, and that Alph-art was Tintin's final adventure.

Coudn't Herge have made Alph-Art Tintin's last adventure without actually killing Tintin? I mean, Tintin has escaped many times before, so wouldn't he have escaped this time?
jock123
#19 · Posted: 26 Feb 2012 16:10
GSC:
Coudn't Herge have made Alph-Art Tintin's last adventure without actually killing Tintin?

Of course! Nothing that is in the published notes, the work in progress or anything else which has come down to us from Hergé shows that he had any intention of killing off Tintin in this book – it's purely speculation by others, based on the fact that it is de facto the last story upon which Hergé worked, and that at the point it appears to end, Tintin is apparently in peril.

However, the book is only a very rough outline of ideas that Hergé had had, and it is entirely possible he'd have re-worked it, revised it or even abandoned it if matters in his own life had taken a different turn.

He certainly set the book aside to work on the designs of the murals for the Stokkel Metro station, which was actually the last proper Tintin project he seems to have worked on, and that doesn't hint at anything like the idea that the character would have actually "died" in a story.

He also had research in train for stories returning Tintin to the lands of the Native American peoples, and an interest in sending Tintin to Australia (this last had a considerable amount of material in his reference collection, according to Michael Farr).

So there could easily have been life for Tintin after Alph-Art, had Hergé himself lived, and been interested in doing another book.
rose_of_pollux
#20 · Posted: 26 Feb 2012 18:44
I also want to hold onto the belief that Tintin lives. As sliat_1981 said, when we last saw Snowy, he was en route to delivering that message to the Captain, after all--assuming Snowy doesn't pull another stunt like he did in Tibet, we can assume that the Captain is aware of the situation and is on his way.

And, really, even if (if being the key word there) Hergé had killed Tintin off (which is highly unlikely, as others in this thread have mentioned), he probably would've been faced with such an outcry from the fans that he would've had to pull a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and bring him back somehow...

Personally, going with the above idea that the Captain is on his way, the disappointment in Alph-Art's state of incompleteness isn't the question as to whether or not Tintin lives, but, rather, that we didn't get to see the Captain save the day for once!

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!