Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: Title translation...?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Richard
UK Correspondent
#21 · Posted: 4 Mar 2006 13:10
Harrock n roll
That's interesting. Would you mind repeating some of them here?

This is a selection of them, in their original French. Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin:

· Tintin en Indonésie (Tintin in Indonesia)
· Tintin et le Milliardaire (Tintin and the Millionaire)
· Tintin et les Gens d'ailleurs (Tintin and the People from the Past)
· Tintin et le Monde renversé (Tintin and the World turned Upside Down/ the Land Downunder)
· Le Grand Secret (The Great Secret)
· La Cité du Grand Secret (The City of the Great Secret)
· L'Archipel du Grand Secret (The Archipelago of the Great Secret)
· Tintin à la frontière du monde (Tintin at the Edge of the World)
· Tintin entre deux mondes (Tintin Between Two Worlds)
· Tintin et l'enfer de Kamjodene (Tintin and the Kamjodene Inferno)
· Les guerriers du dieu vert (Warriors of the Green God)
· Pas d'os pour Milou (No Bones for Snowy!)
· Plus de whisky pour le Capitaine (No More Whisky for the Captain)
· L'imprudence de Tintin (
· Silence, Milou!
· Reveillez-vous, mille sabords! (Get up, Blistering Barnacles!)
· Pas par là , Tintin! (Not That Way, Tintin!)
· Le nez de Tintin (Tintin's Nose (I'm not making that up))
· Rasta traque Tintin (Rasta[popoulos] Stalks Tintin)
· Du tintouin pour Tintin (Trouble for Tintin)
· Cap Mystére (Cape Mystery)
· Visa pour l'Inconnu (Visa to the Unknown)
· Vol interdit (Forbidden Flight)
· Escale à Djakarta (Stop-over in Jakarta)
· Vol spécial pour Adélaïde (Special Flight to Adelaide)

Then Hergé narrowed down the selection to three:

· La Cité du Grand Secret
· Escale à  Djakarta
· Vol 728 pour Sydney

And we - of course - know which one he chose, but then he deliberated over the flight number, contemplating 718, 728, 722, 750 before finally settling on Vol 714 pour Sydney.

Some of those titles are really fascinating, we get a look at Hergé's thought processes through his contemplation of titles; a lot don't sound like traditional Tintin books.

What does everyone think? Did Hergé make the right choice?
Harrock n roll
#22 · Posted: 4 Mar 2006 14:51
Fascinating, thanks for putting that together Richard!
Some sound as if Hergé was just mucking about and plenty of them are downright bizarre - like Tintin's Nose, what's that all about then?
Warriors of the Green God sounds quite von Däniken-esque. Tintin Between Two Worlds is another interesting one.

I believe it proves, from two of the three he pared down to (and some of the others too), that he was attempting to give it a title which disguised the actual story. Escale à  Djakarta as a title would lead you to think it was set there. I think that shows his reasoning behind Flight 714 to Sydney - and it might have been Adelaide!

What does everyone think- did Hergé make the right choice?

Well, I quite like Silence, Milou! ;-)
Levent
#23 · Posted: 6 Nov 2006 23:29
I think that 714 may be a date - 7 and 14 means 14th July.
Perhaps adventure begins on 14th July, or it was an important date for Hergé?
Harrock n roll
#24 · Posted: 28 Nov 2006 20:12
As reported by Richard here the newly titled book has finally hit the shelves. Despite my reservations about the change I couldn't resist buying myself a copy - I suppose it's as near as we're going to get to a *new* Tintin book in English for a while!
As previously mentioned, it will be interesting to see whether other languages that omit the ...to Sydney change their titles.

And before anyone asks, yes, the speech bubble text has been re-lettered with the new font including the long-tailed Zs. There is also a different font used for some of the sound effects like Baoum! and Atchoo!

I also notice that, compared to an older edition, the actual book is a few millimetres wider, although the right-hand side (with the stalagmite) is slightly more cropped. This might be because the colour of the spine now bleeds further over the cover than on the older editions.

Also, hyphens have been added either side of the name at the top of the front cover, so it now says - HERGÉ -.

I guess we'll have to update our books guide at some point.
And should Moulinsart and Egmont feel the need to - to quote from The Tintinshop's website - "revert to the straight translation" for the other books, we may need to add The Mysterious Star, The Temple of the Sun, They Walked on the Moon and Coke in Stock as well!

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!