Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Your Favourite "Tintin" Books?

Page  Page 5 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 

Charliezeta
#41 · Posted: 30 Nov 2006 14:22
Hi! I don't mind questions! I'm at work and the cutting is at home, but I think I'd written "The Star" on it - I presume it's a local Oxford paper? - it definitely wasn't a national.
I can take a digital pic of the cutting tonight and send it if it's possible to post pics on here?
Cath
Harrock n roll
#42 · Posted: 30 Nov 2006 14:34
Charliezeta
I can take a digital pic of the cutting tonight and send it if it's possible to post pics on here?

That would be great! You could start a new thread about it, or perhaps more general one about Hergé UK appearances (I thought we had one but can't seem to find it...) I might move these posts there afterwards as I've steered this one rather off-topic!

I don't mind questions! I'm at work
Always the best place to answer them!
Charliezeta
#43 · Posted: 30 Nov 2006 14:39
heh heh- I spend too much time on line at work !! Ill post a pic tonite- i generally download to photobucket then copy the URL onto a post- will that work on here ?

Cath
Rajaijah
#44 · Posted: 24 Dec 2006 20:11
Hi
To continue the thread (with all the enthusiasm of a new member),here's my list of favourite ten Tintins in no particular order. It's a little unfair to call ONE of them the best.
1. The Calculus Affair (Gripping Story, great Artwork)
2. The Black Island (Great Atmosphere & my fav. Cover)
3. The Broken Ear (Caramba, Ridgewell's darts & the general concept of a Banana republic where everything's haywire)
4. The Castafiore Emerald (a touch of P G Wodehouse in the plot? I can never forget Haddock's exclamation on seeing the Magazine Cover!)
5. The Blue Lotus (For its approach towards "East-West" relationships of that age)
6. The Secret of the Unicorn
7. Red Rackham's Treasure (My First Tintin. My fav gag is the Thompsons re-checking Captain's calculations...)
8. Tintin & the Picaros (A modern thriller)
9. Red Sea Sharks
10. Land of Black Gold
Tintins I don't like so much (or parts I don't like in them):
1. Tintin in America (Loose Storyline. I would have loved if Herge detailed out the Chicago Skyscrapers / streets more richly)
2. The Shooting Star (Haddock's character doesn't come out too strongly as it's only his second book. Concept of story is not too gripping)
3. Tintin & The Soviets
Dupond et Dupont
#45 · Posted: 1 Jan 2007 13:33
It's really interesting to get an insight into other people's favourites. I just ordered a hard-copy edition of The Black Island as a gift for my friend's son- it was my childhood favourite, so I thought it'd be a good book to acquaint him with Tintin.

Other favourites of mine (English titles) are (roughly in order):

1. The Red Sea Sharks (beautifully drawn and great adventure)
2. The Calculus Affair (ditto)
3. The Secret of The Unicorn (Love the Captain's flashbacks)
4. Tintin in Tibet (Eerie and exotic)
5. The Broken Ear (Good humour, satire and adventure)
6. The Blue Lotus (Exotic and exciting)
7. King Ottakar's Sceptre (My first Tintin book)
8. Explorers on the Moon (Love the way the moon is depicted and the dramatic scenes)
9. Tintin in America (Was a favourite of mine as a child, and although I see some flaws now, it has some wonderful cliffhangers and is a real pastiche of American cliches)

Books I don't really enjoy as much:

1. Tintin and the Picaros (Too much dialogue, drunkeness and flamboyance in the style of the art... Tintin doesn't look right in flared trousers)
2. Castafiore's Emerald (As a kid I always saw it as the book where nothing much happens)
3. Flight 714 (I just don't like the aliens theme much)
4. Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Interesting to see the origins of the character, but the storytelling and artwork are very raw).
tintin_in_arcata
#46 · Posted: 2 Jan 2007 03:56
Here are my top ten (I really can't put them in any order):

Tintin in Tibet,
The Seven Crystal Balls,
Prisoners of The Sun,
The Secret of The Unicorn,
Red Rackham's Treasure,
Destination Moon,
Explorers on The Moon,
The Blue Lotus,
The Black Island,
and Alph-art
thefin
#47 · Posted: 2 Jan 2007 15:12
For me, it has to be either The Blue Lotus or Flight 714. The Blue Lotus - due to its location - looks exquisite and has so much detail. Flight 714 is very exciting and would make a great storyline for a Hollywood movie.

Having said that, I like pretty much all of the stories. The Calculus Affair is excellent. I even like the Castafiore Emerald. Land of Black Gold, too.
TNT
#48 · Posted: 15 Feb 2007 03:14
my top 10 :-)

Tintin in tibet
explorers on the moon
destination moon
the shooting star
prisoners of the sun
the seven crystal balls
Red Rackham's treasure
the secret of the unicorn
the blue lotus
calculus affair

I don't like so much...

tintin and picaros
tintin in congo
tintin in america
flight 714
The Blue Lotus
#49 · Posted: 17 Mar 2007 20:58
Hi, Just registered today, and here's my ratings for The 24 official Tintin books:

1) 12. Red Rackham's Treasure 10/10
2 ) 10. The Shooting Star 9
3 ) 5. The Blue Lotus 9
4) 14. Prisoners of the Sun 9
5) 16. Destination Moon 9
6 ) 6. Tintin and the Broken Ear 8
7) 20. Tintin in Tibet 8
8 ) 17. Explorers on the Moon 8
9 ) 4. Cigars of the Pharaoh 8
10 ) 8. King Ottokar's Sceptre 7
11) 11. The Secret of the Unicorn 7
12) 22. Flight 714 to Sydney 7
13 ) 13. The Seven Crystal Balls 7
14 ) 9. The Crab with the Golden Claws 7
15 ) 7. The Black Island 7
16) 15. Land of Black Gold 7
17 ) 18. The Calculus Affair 7
18 ) 19. The Red Sea Sharks 6
19 ) 23. Tintin and the Picaros 6
20 ) 3. Tintin in America 6
21 ) 2. Tintin in the Congo 6
22 ) 1. Tintin in the Land of the Soviets 6
23 ) 21. The Castafiore Emerald 6
24 ) 24. Tintin and Alph-Art 5
waveofplague
#50 · Posted: 30 Mar 2007 18:54
Of the ones I've read...
Favorites:
Broken Ear
Castafiore Emerald
Shooting Star
Moon books
Picaros
Least Favorites: (which are still very good)
King Ottokar's Sceptre
Flight 714
Cigars of the Pharaoh

Page  Page 5 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!