Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Belvision: La mine d'or au bout du couloir

Harrock n roll
#1 · Posted: 28 Jun 2004 12:02
Has anybody heard about a documentary made by Belgian animator/director Philippe Capart on the animation studio Belvision?
The film is called Belvision : la mine d'or au bout du couloir (which could be translated as Belvision : the goldmine at the end of the hall) I think it was shown last year at a Belgian animation festival but not anywhere else I'm aware of to date. Here's a quote from a post I saw at an American animation forum.
... this is a superb work, documenting the history of a pioneering Belgian studio that first animated Tintin, Asterix, Lucky Luke, not to mention Bozo The Clown, The Smurfs, the feature Pinocchio in Outer Space and even a pilot for The Flintstones ...There are interviews with key surviving personnel, as well as Fred Ladd, Norm Prescott and Larry Harmon. But the highlights are the vintage behind the scenes film clips (apparently Belvison shot behind-the-scenes footage for most of their productions) and scenes from classic French animated TV films and commercials...

Ans here's a link to an article (in French) and a bigger version of that great picture of the studio!
jock123
#2 · Posted: 28 Jun 2004 13:53
Fascinating! I am intrigued by the reference in the linked article to the first Belvision animated, or rather partially animated, Tintin - I have heard it said that the BBC broadcast a partially animated Tintin in the late 50s, but the source I found it in suggested that the BBC had done it themselves, although there was no record of it ever having been held in the BBC archive if that was so. So I presume it was the production mentioned here.

I imagine that it would have looked like Captain Pugwash or other John Ryan programmes, or something like Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin's work on Noggin the Nog. It is good to think that it might be there in the Belvision archive awaiting a new generation.

As for the photo - well, the amount of lacquer on the hair-dos probably explains at least part of the hole in the ozone layer!
thomas
#3 · Posted: 13 Sep 2004 09:54
The man on the right of the picture is Ray Gosseens. He was the big boss of Belvision's animation studio from 1959 to 1972.
He did the Tintin TV series (1959 - 1964), two movies of Astérix (Astérix le Gaulois and Astérix et Cléopatre), two movies of Tintin (Prisoners of the Sun and Tintin and the Lake of Sharks) and one movie of Lucky Luke (Daisy Town).
He was a big worker - some people said that with Belvision, Brussels had its own Burbank studio!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!