Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

How do you say Zette, Jocko and Flupke?

yukino
#1 · Posted: 15 May 2006 22:03
How do you say Zette, Jocko and Flupke's names, please?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 16 May 2006 12:42
yukino
How do you say Zette, Jocko and Flupke's names, please?

Well, I think of them as Zet, Joh-koe (to rhyme with "paw" and "foe") and Floop-kuh.

According to a quote from Hergé in The World of Tintin book, Flup was the way a child might pronounce Philip (or Philippe), and -ke is a diminutive ending (as in English one might add a -y to make Jill into Jilly or John into Johnny), so he is in effect Wee Philip.
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 16 May 2006 13:07
I've always pronounced them:

Zet-tea
Jocko
Floop-k
yamilah
#4 · Posted: 16 May 2006 17:05
The original pronounciation is:
- [3o]* for Jo
- [zet] for Zette
- [3oko]* for Jocko

- [kik] for Quick
- [flü(p)k] for Flupke (pronounced as if it had a German 'umlaut' on the 'u').

* [3] stands for the initial consonant in French 'jamais', 'jeu', 'jiu-jitsu', 'jouet' or 'jus'.
In French words, this consonant isn't preceded by a virtual [d] as e.g. in English 'joke'.
MrCutts
#5 · Posted: 16 Dec 2006 22:30
Where's the 'd' in joke ???
yamilah
#6 · Posted: 17 Dec 2006 11:03
MrCutts
Where's the 'd' in joke ???

In the very same place as it is in 'just'!
see 'consonants' (last line) on
http://www.antimoon.com/how/pronunc-soundsipa.htm

read and listen!
Jordy
#7 · Posted: 18 Dec 2006 02:13
I've already read them as:

Zet
Jo-Ko
Flup-Ke

This may be because I speak Japanese so I read them in two letter groups, Jo, Ko, Ke...

Also, Seniora Castifiore is a different pronunciation for me.
If I read it closely I read it as Cas-Ta-Fi-Ore. However, if I read it quickly I read Cas-Ta-Fi-O-Re.
The first pronunciation I say the last bit as ore, like copper or tin.
The second one I seperate it and say 'o-re'. This happen to anyone else while their reading?

Moderator Note: Generally it seems that the second pronounciation of Castafiore is the accepted way of saying it.
miloumuttmitt
#8 · Posted: 25 Jun 2007 18:27
I've never paid as much attention to Jo, Zette and Jocko as I have to Quick and Flupke.
But I would pronounce Zette (zet) and Jocko exactly as it looks and would be pronounced in English. And I pronounce Flupke (floop-ka).
snowybella
#9 · Posted: 28 Feb 2017 04:44
Zet-ey (also Zet)

Jocko

Floup-ke

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!