Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

e-Books of Tintin in PDF

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

sponsz
#1 · Posted: 18 Dec 2006 13:37
Hello,
Are there Ebooks of Tintin comics in PDF Size on the web? Or other comics? For instance the pirate work Tintin in Irak exist in PDF EBook.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 18 Dec 2006 14:43
There are indeed Ebooks of Tintin books in PDF format in existence, but these are ALL unofficial and therefore illegal.

As per our rules, members can discuss such material but are reminded to avoid linking to/discussing where to obtain/requesting help in obtaining illegal material.
Tintin Quiz
#3 · Posted: 19 Dec 2006 05:10
As per our rules, members can discuss such material but are reminded to avoid linking to/discussing where to obtain/requesting help in obtaining illegal material.

It's good to remember that "our rules" and even the Herge Foundation's decisions on what's "official" and what's not do not equate to what's legal and what's illegal.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 19 Dec 2006 09:17
Tintin Quiz
It's good to remember that "our rules" and even the Herge Foundation's decisions on what's "official" and what's not do not equate to what's legal and what's illegal.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand exactly what you mean here - the rules on not promoting pirate material largely are based on what is legal and what isn’t.
Tintin Quiz
#5 · Posted: 20 Dec 2006 06:17
National and international copyright laws give rights to both the creator or copyright owner (often not the same) and to the reading/viewing public. It's very popular these days for industry associations and software companies, for example, to make claims that are not supported by copyright law. Like I wrote, "unofficial" does not equal "illegal."

I'm not objecting to forum rules that prohibit discussions that the Herge Foundation might frown upon. But those are forum rules, not international laws.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 20 Dec 2006 09:28
Tintin Quiz
National and international copyright laws give rights to both the creator or copyright owner (often not the same) and to the reading/viewing public.

That’s interesting, but I’m not clear on the detail - could you offer an example, as it would relate to Tintin, perhaps, just to explain the point. Thanks!
Tintin Quiz
#7 · Posted: 20 Dec 2006 19:06
I'm no copyright lawyer, so I'd have to refer you to one of the many web sites that explain the details of copyright law. My only point is that copyright law does exist in various countries, and it's the government that makes the laws, not companies, foundations or industry associations.

(I also don't mean to begin an argument about the "rights" of companies to protect their profits.)
jock123
#8 · Posted: 20 Dec 2006 23:38
Tintin Quiz
My only point is that copyright law does exist in various countries, and it's the government that makes the laws, not companies, foundations or industry associations

I take on board what you say, but still can't see exactly what the situation is that you are hinting at in regards to what is official and what's not; the Fondation is certainly allowed to decide what is and what isn't allowed, and is legally able to do so. Copyright law protects their right to decide what can and can't be done with the characters, and the rights of the everyone else are limited. As the owner of a book, for example, one has limited rights, but they wouldn't extend to making .pdf files of them available to anyone else.
Tintin Quiz
#9 · Posted: 21 Dec 2006 01:25
the Fondation is certainly allowed to decide what is and what isn't allowed, and is legally able to do so. Copyright law protects their right to decide what can and can't be done with the characters, and the rights of the everyone else are limited. As the owner of a book, for example, one has limited rights, but they wouldn't extend to making .pdf files of them available to anyone else.

That's exactly my point. I don't want to go out on a legal limb here, but The Herge Foundation does not have the right to decide what's legal and what is not. That's a matter for the copyright laws of the country in question. And since there are many different countries involved, that's a complicated issue.

You may well be right that a Tintin book owner does not have the right to scan a whole Tintin volume and then post a pdf of the scans on the web. (Check with the Google lawyers on such issues.)
Making "derivative" works is an entirely different issue. And "decorating" web sites with scans of images from the Tintin canon is another issue. And what about modifying a scan from a Tintin book and sending it to a relative as a card--a one off? Is the quiff a copyrighted item? Is tintinologist in violation of copyright law by including a quiff in its logo? I don't think so. But the Herge Foundation lawers could argue differently.
Harrock n roll
#10 · Posted: 21 Dec 2006 03:38
The Herge Foundation does not have the right to decide what's legal and what is not. That's a matter for the copyright laws of the country in question. And since there are many different countries involved, that's a complicated issue.

No, obviously the Fondation do not have the right to decide what's legal and what is not - thankfully! As jock123 said, they can decide the limits they allow the work to be used and are protected by the law in doing so.

This is precisely why Tintinologist.org likes to keep on good terms with the Fondation by adhering to their charter. It’s one of the reasons why we discourage linking to/discussing where to obtain unofficial Tintin material. Unfortunately, us humble moderators simply cannot spare the time to make judgements on what is legal and what isn’t in every case. Far easier to exclude anything that we deem as being of dubious legality. I hope most people here would agree that this is a far more sensible position than one that risks any legal ramifications which could result in the site being closed down.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!