Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Red Sea Sharks: Tintin's hat?

Hannibales
#1 · Posted: 2 Jan 2007 22:17
First of all, hello to you all, I've just re-discovered my childhood Tintin books and am busy re-reading, and thoroughly enjoying, them!

Now for the question: In The Red Sea Sharks Tintin wears a hat as he disembarks at Wadesdah Airport, page 15 of my copy, am I right in thinking that this is a "slouch hat", as famously worn by the Australians in both World Wars?

If so, can anyone recommend a retailer?
marsbar
#2 · Posted: 3 Jan 2007 00:18
G'day and welcome, Hannibales!

I haven't got the book with me to check Tintin's hat - but if you are looking for slouch hats, consider getting one from Akubra.

Akubra distributors
Hannibales
#3 · Posted: 3 Jan 2007 21:44
I did have a quick search around and saw Akubra's site. Like all hat sites I'm impressed by some designs, amused by others and reduced to laughter by a few (have a search for Akubra's "resort" style!). I'm going to continue looking around, as I'm determined to get something that looks like Tintin's, and when I do, I'll let you all know where to get one too!!
jock123
#4 · Posted: 4 Jan 2007 09:53
I have two Akubra hats (both are Akubra Federation Deluxes, which may not be available any more), which are fedora-type bush hats, rather than slouch hats, and they are excellent.

I had good experience with a company called www.hatsdirect.com, which considering that they came from Downunder to the U.K., still proved cheaper than buying the same or similar from an Akubra supplier here.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!