Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Tintin: The eclipse in "Apocalypto"...?

Tintin Quiz
#1 · Posted: 19 Dec 2006 05:08
From Anthony Lane's review of Mel Gibson's movie "Apocalypto," in the December 18 issue of The New Yorker:

"As the priest raises the knife, Jaguar Paw is spared, thanks to a happy coincidence lifted straight from a Tintin book called "Prisoners of the Sun."
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 19 Dec 2006 17:16
Tintin Quiz
"As the priest raises the knife, Jaguar Paw is spared, thanks to a happy coincidence lifted straight from a Tintin book called "Prisoners of the Sun."

I assume that it's referring to the eclipse of the sun? It'll be interesting to compare the scene in the film with the book.

There's a very similar scene in King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard - as an earlier book it might have influenced Prisoners. The heroes in that adventure use an eclipse of the moon and pretend to be sorcerers in order to frighten the Kukuana warriors who hold them captive.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Solomon's_Mines
cigars of the beeper
#3 · Posted: 4 Jan 2007 20:44
I think that Christopher Columbus tricked some natives by predicting an eclipse too.
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 6 Jan 2007 16:46
I think they did so also in an Enid Blyton adventure, the trick natives with a Sun eclipse is pretty well known and in all honesty rather hackneyed.

R
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 7 Jan 2007 01:49
cigars of the beeper
I think that Christopher Columbus tricked some natives by predicting an eclipse too.

That's true, I'd forgotten about that. In fact, the Colombus story is probably the source for it as a plot device. Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court also uses the same trick, and with a Solar eclipse (like Prisoners) rather than a Lunar one.

According to what I could dig up from the 'net, Colombus is said to have used a Lunar eclipse (when the moon passes into the shadow of the earth) to trick the inhabitants of Jamaica on February 29th, 1504.

Anyone interested can read more about Colombus's eclipse here - The Eclipse That Saved Columbus.
Rocky
#6 · Posted: 14 Jan 2007 01:01
I saw "Apocalypto" today, and to be fair the film uses an eclipse in a different way compared to how Hergé used it.
skut
#7 · Posted: 14 Jan 2007 05:27
All of this eclipse trickery is silly, of course, because both the Incas and the Aztecs were keen astronomers and would have known about eclipses!
Rocky
#8 · Posted: 14 Jan 2007 10:28
the Incas and the Aztecs... would have known about eclipses!

And the Mayans too.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!