Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Golden Fleece & Blue Oranges: Comic adaptations?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

advnarayan
#1 · Posted: 2 Jul 2004 04:02
I don't think The Golden Fleece and Blue Oranges were published in comic form, I believe they were published as a sort of a movie book tie-in with lavish pictures. This is based on the info I found online - is this right or wrong?
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 2 Jul 2004 07:44
Yeh they were published with photos and story text from the film, not the standard strip and speech bubbles. But maybe someone has taken the story and drawn it as a comic book?

Rik
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 2 Jul 2004 13:20
"The Golden Fleece" was done as a strip, with images from the official books redrawn to fit the story (and redrawn very well, I must say - the author has genuine artistic ability), but I don't think "The Blue Oranges" was ever done like that.
midnightblueowl
#4 · Posted: 24 Oct 2005 21:16
Hello.
The original film books were just paragraphs and pictures. The canadian artist, Yves Rodier has taken the blue oranges film and written it in a black and white comic form. This is incredibly rare, and was released in 2004.
I think that the comic version of the 'Golden Fleece' is only in French and it is not by Rodier, although does anyone know who it's by?

--
[Moderator note: That Rodier has produced a comic version of Blue Oranges is subject to debate. See Richard's post in a related thread.]
Richard
UK Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 1 Nov 2005 20:21
I'm fairly sure - although couldn't say for certain - that it wasn't Rodier who was responsible for either of the books based on films. For the benefit of anyone who may be interested, I'll analyse each.

Tintin and the Golden Fleece :
Of the two books, I'd say this is artistically superior. The drawings have been produced with either a brush and ink or a flexible nib. They're imported from existing albums, but not in a 'copy and paste' way. The artist reframed them, reworked backgrounds, and used secondary characters to take the place of the extras in the film. The book was originally produced as three volumes, but reprinted versions have been compiled into one.

Rodier tends to draw his characters based on Hergé's designs, but composes the scenes for himself and draws the figures without copying directly. His style of drawing is also more subtle regarding line variation - the extreme fluctuations of The Golden Fleece don't match with the work he's done previously. I'd therefore argue it wasn't his work, but whoever did it (no name is attributed) has genuine talent. Some copies were sold upon its creation that were signed, but the author's name is never mentioned on the work otherwise.

Tintin and the Blue Oranges :
This was drawn in 2004, as you say. The only copy I've seen has been for sale online, and sold for a ridiculous amount. Personally I'd consider it less attractive; the drawing is clumsier, and the scenes that aren't taken directly from Hergé's work are clearly visible. It was printed in landscape (format italienne) with two strips per page. The pages alternated between being printed in orange and blue ink, but there's no actual colouring.

This one is definitely not from the pen of M. Rodier. The drawing is far weaker, the lettering is a computer font (Rodier went so far as to mimic Lemey's lettering style) and there's a far greater reliance on narrative boxes to progress the story, as opposed to letting the drawings do the job. Each page of the book is signed with what appears to be 'Fa-betsé', although if that's what it says is open to debate.

Obviously the lack of pictures to illustrate my points doesn't help but as they're illegal creations they'd violate forum rules. Still, I hope that's all been of some help.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#6 · Posted: 14 Nov 2005 23:16
Just a little note to add: the artist behind The Golden Fleece was probably Pascal Somon, who produced a series of images based on Norman Rockwell's work (I'm sure I've mentioned those before).
midnightblueowl
#7 · Posted: 13 Feb 2006 14:52
I have found out that the Blue Oranges comic was by Faberge. Faberge likes to sign his work erge fab. I only know of the Blue Oranges by him. The Golden Fleece was published by Karexport, who appeared in the film.

--
[Note to poster: Combined two consecutive posts. Do not give information on how to obtain pirate material - that is strictly against forum rules! - The Tintinologist Team]
SingingGandalf
#8 · Posted: 27 Apr 2006 20:17
According to information I found online, there has been two attempts at creating the comic version of blue oranges, and I believe it was Faberge, and TB. And it was Pascal Somons who created the Golden Fleece. I have a copy on CD, and I'm not too impressed, as there are slip ups here and there, and it's only black and white, though I do believe Somons re-drew it, creating a colour, more Herge-like version.
nessteddybear
#9 · Posted: 19 Oct 2009 19:23
Was this drawn by Hergé?
Link removed

Moderator Note: The short answer to your question is “no” - it is a pirate edition.

The longer answer is that we cannot have a link to material like this which is not authorized, so we have had to remove it. Many thanks for your cooperation in this matter, as it keeps us up and running.

The Tintinologist Team
number1fan
#10 · Posted: 22 Oct 2009 12:07
Good question .No it doesnt.However the book of the film was presented with film stills from the film and speech bubbles.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!