Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

BFI Tintin Night at the National Film Theatre, London, 5 March 2007

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

jock123
#21 · Posted: 5 Mar 2007 23:20
Well that was certainly a lot of fun!

A near capacity crowd enjoyed a great programme of documentary matrial and of course, what was maybe the first screening of Golden Fleece in English since the BBC broadcast in the 1970's.
The print - perhaps unique - has been copied by the BFI, and will be kept safe after having languished un-recognized in a storage warehouse, amongst many other prints donated to them by the BBC.
Congratulations to all involved at the NFT, and thanks for staging such a special event.
Now all they have to do is to find an English language version of Blue Oranges!
labrador road 26
#22 · Posted: 5 Mar 2007 23:53
Do any of you who attended know if Golden Fleece was a digital print or if it was regular film?
jockosjungle
#23 · Posted: 6 Mar 2007 09:03
It didn't look too digital, it migh even have been a videotape. Then again it might have been digital but from a poor source.

It was a great night, I was sitting next to Rocky, and the Golden Fleece was a great film, I was laughing in places (the sinister music for example) but I've seen a lot worse.

The Tintinologist team were all thanked by name at the beginning of the event, did you all have some input into the night?

R
jock123
#24 · Posted: 6 Mar 2007 09:23
labrador road 26
Do any of you who attended know if Golden Fleece was a digital print or if it was regular film?
It was a digibeta copy, made by the BFI from the print they hold, shown as projected video; the overall quality wasn’t bad for a 45 year old film, especially when it hasn’t recieved any sepcial attention, but it was a little darker and a little less saturated in colour than the version used for the French DVD release. This may have been down to the machine which was used to do the transfer having a single light, rather than being a feature of the print they hold.
Given that it is the only English-language print they know of, I think they will be treating it very carefully, and using a copy was probably a safety measure.

jockosjungle
The Tintinologist team were all thanked by name at the beginning of the event, did you all have some input into the night?
That was very kind of them, and a complete surprise! We had minimal input, I think it would be fair to say, but Vic was most appreciative of the support that Tintinologists in general gave by turning out to see it, so I think the thanks actually goes to all who attended.
number1fan
#25 · Posted: 6 Mar 2007 16:03
Anyone reckon that the BFI will bring out Golden Fleece on DVD?
jockosjungle
#26 · Posted: 6 Mar 2007 20:05
Are they allowed to? Just because they have a copy of the print does that mean that they are allowed to issue DVD's from it?

R
jock123
#27 · Posted: 6 Mar 2007 23:03
Are they allowed to? Just because they have a copy of the print does that mean that they are allowed to issue DVD's from it?
No, but then again that wasn't implied in numberone's question.
If they were interested in doing a DVD release, I am sure that they would seek the relevant permissions first!

On the subject of DVDs, I was just looking at the French DVD release, and noted a couple of differences in how the titles were presented on the English version.
I can't be sure, but there is a Pathé card at the start of the French copy (names on an abstract blue background) which may have been on the version last night, but I don't recall it; then the French version has a full-screen title superimposed on the start of the film proper,"Tintin et le mystère de la Toison d'Or", written in a cursive style, similar to that which appeared on the cover of the French movie book. The English one had a very simple, san serif caption in the centre of the screen, saying "The Golden Treasure", no Tintin, no Mystery.
At the end, the British version had the credits superimposed over abstract coloured paint swirls; the French edition uses (what appear to be) Hergé illustrations - with pictures of Tintin, Haddock etc., but also including drawings of some of the other major characters, done in the style of the books. As only the Karexport crocodile logo and the picture of the parrot on its flying perch made it into the movie book, they are unusual, and a bit of a loss for the English-speaking audience.
alicelights
#28 · Posted: 7 Mar 2007 00:30
I really enjoyed the relaxed feeling that there was at the event. For some reason I expected a really bad dub but I found myself very plesently suprised!

A wink at everybody who went, I loved that everybody had that same reaction when Snowy rolled over the burning fuse in an attempt to put it out. Awww-

I hope they do bring it out on DVD. I'd buy it.
jock123
#29 · Posted: 7 Mar 2007 10:08
alicelights
I really enjoyed the relaxed feeling that there was at the event. For some reason I expected a really bad dub but I found myself very plesently suprised!
I thought that too - there were some people going on a bit afterwards about the quality of the dubbing, but I thought it was not bad at all.

I loved that everybody had that same reaction when Snowy rolled over the burning fuse in an attempt to put it out. Awww-
Not so much Snowy as Smokey!

Welcome to the forum!
alicelights
#30 · Posted: 7 Mar 2007 22:48
Thank you! I look forward to spending time here :D

I'd never even noticed Tintinologist had a forum in the past! ...I must be blind.

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!