Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q161: Grammar

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

maxmordon
#1 · Posted: 27 Mar 2007 00:41
There is a grammar mistake that can be seen in four volumes. Could be considered technically not a mistake but since the setting should be regarded as a mistake. Is a proper name that is supposed to be from a culture of the world but happens to be from another culture of the world. the mistake is always the same and never changes in all the four volumes

What is the mistake and in which volumes appears?

Moderator Note: This is going to be very difficult to answer, as a) it really requires that those playing read every word of every book and make comparisons of all the grammatical mistakes, and b) even you say that the "mistake" isn't technically a mistake, so the contestants will possibly not have thought to include it in their list of errors!
Please consider an alternative wording of the question which makes your intention clearer, or it might be deemed that you are asking an impossible question.
The Tintinologist Team
tintinspartan
#2 · Posted: 27 Mar 2007 09:48
Firstly, Tintin in America, is there a desert with grass?! (Upps, i don't have the page number) Secondly was Prisoners Of The Sun; Is there snow on a mountain in Peru? It's common sense. I may try again as these two are the only ones I thought. Better Read somemore.

Moderator Note: Please remember that Rule 04 does not allow for members to submit more than one answer per question, and you have now had your turn; it is always better (and fairer to fellow members) to wait until you have a complete solution to offer, rather than giving a partial answer.
The Tintinologist Team
maxmordon
#3 · Posted: 28 Mar 2007 00:49
Well, is not a sentence but a proper name.

some of the books that appears are The Seven Crystal Balls and Tintin and The Picaros
tintinspartan
#4 · Posted: 28 Mar 2007 13:36
- cut -

Moderator Note: Again, see your post above; only one attempt at answering per question please.
Balthazar
#5 · Posted: 28 Mar 2007 15:41
Hmm, your mention of Seven Crystal Balls and Picaros makes me wonder if I should be looking at Alcazar/San Theodoros-related things, and your clue about the grammatical error concerning a proper name makes me wonder if you're refering to the way that San Theodoros's capital sometimes changes its name from Las Dopicos to Los Dopicos.

On page 16 of The Broken Ear the captain of The Ville de Lyon calls it Las Dopicos. But the heading on the letter tintin gets on page 17 reads: Ministry of Justice, Los Dopicos. Then the faked letter given to the ship's captain on page 19 refers to Las Dopicos again. And on page 1 of Tintin and the Picaros, Tintin refers to Los Dopicos (as the former name of what is by then called Tapiocapolis).

However, I don't speak Spanish so I don't know if Dopicos means anything, or if Las would be more or less grammatically correct than Los or if it makes no difference. And anyway, now that I check, I can't find any direct references to the city in the two Alcazar-featuring books, The Seven Crystal Balls & The Red Sea Sharks, nor in any other, so since your question asks for an error which occurs in four Tintin books, maybe this isn't what you're after at all. But that's my best guess!

Edit: Having just re-read your original question, I'm pretty sure my Los-Las answer doesn't fit what you're looking for. Never mind!
maxmordon
#6 · Posted: 28 Mar 2007 16:48
Au Contraire Balthazar, you are in something
tuhatkauno
#7 · Posted: 28 Mar 2007 19:16
Hi

Take a look at the statue of general Oliveira (The Broken Ear, page 30). He is "Libertador de San Teodoro", so the name of the country seems to be San Teodoro in the statue and elsewhere it is San Theodoros, like in The Seven Crystal Balls pg. 13, in The Picaros pg. 2, in The Broken Ear pg. 17 in The Red Sea Sharks pg. 9.

Did you mean this, maxmordon?
maxmordon
#8 · Posted: 28 Mar 2007 22:45
Hi

Take a look at the statue of general Oliveira (The Broken Ear, page 30). He is "Libertador de San Teodoro", so the name of the country seems to be San Teodoro in the statue and elsewhere it is San Theodoros, like in The Seven Crystal Balls pg. 13, in The Picaros pg. 2, in The Broken Ear pg. 17 in The Red Sea Sharks pg. 9.

Did you mean this, maxmordon?

Yes! Triumph for you!

The country is supossed to be from Spanish origin but the name Theodoros is in fact Greek! the actual version of the name Theodore in Spanish is Teodoro. Ergo, the name of the country should be San Teodoro if was named after Saint Theodore
yamilah
#9 · Posted: 28 Mar 2007 23:38
Another 'grammar' mistake can be found in those four volumes: Alcazar's very name, the correct spelling of which is Alcázar in Spanish, namely with an acute accent on its first 'a', contrary to both English and original versions.

see http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=alcazar
for Spanish version see http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Alc%C3%A1zar
maxmordon
#10 · Posted: 29 Mar 2007 01:42
You are true yamilah; that was another answer. According to the rules it has a top of 3 correct answers

If there be a second place medal I would give you

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »