Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: Casting discussion

Page  Page 4 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15  16  Next » 

george
#31 · Posted: 22 Jun 2004 18:33
I wonder if the scarcity of the English versions is down to the covers having been made out of what seems to have been bio-degradeable shredded-wheat waste.

Actually, my copy isn't too bad - certainly for a book that's near 40 years old. The spine's intact at least, which is more than I can say for a '58 version of King Ottakar's Sceptre, which is literally turning to dust before me.

One thing about the book (Golden Fleece at least) is that it makes me hungry to see that actual movie, even if there's a car-crash quality about it. John-Pierre Talbot looks like a pretty good Tintin. Certainly nearer the ideal than I expect the new movie to be anyway.

George
carpetseller202
#32 · Posted: 9 Jul 2004 04:58
I'm not saying this person would play Tintin very well, but he does look like him: Macaulay Culkin.
Here is a picture of him:
http://bassoatesino.clarence.com/archive/images/culkin030901.jpg
kirthiboy
#33 · Posted: 9 Jul 2004 10:22
No way! He does not look like Tintin from any angle!
finlay
#34 · Posted: 13 Aug 2004 11:33
He looks exactly like he did at the age of 8 in Home Alone, though :P.

Tom Hanks would have to be able to do a *good* British/English accent before he'd get my vote, and even then he hasn't the necessary rage.

I think if any character has an unjustified American accent the film should flop.

I think Danny Devito would be a funny Rastapopoulos.
avitintin
#35 · Posted: 15 Aug 2004 09:34
Danny Devito? How about Jack Nicholson?
jock123
#36 · Posted: 15 Aug 2004 10:58
Danny deVito would be a perfect Rastapopoulos! He has the right combination of agression, temper and comedy needed, and his physicality would be terrific. Jack Nicholson is too tall, and sneery sinister for the part, IMHO. Stick the nose on deVito, and you have Roberto; stick the nose on Nicholson, and you have got a candidate to play the proboscis monkey in “Cigars”…
TinTinUSA
#37 · Posted: 24 Sep 2004 11:18
Just as with the Harry Potter movies or Back to the Future movies (Michael J. Fox), most of the established actors are too old. Hollywood needs a young unknown teen actor that can age slowly for a minimum of 3 movies. It will also make the film budget cheaper with an ensemble cast. Factoring in salaries, locations and special effects, the budget on this movie would easily approach $US 150 Million.

For authenticity, I would favor European actors over Americans. However to maximize publicity, perhaps they can cast Gwenyth Paltrow as Tintin ! With short shair, she certainly looks androgynous enough. She also won an Oscar for Shakespeare in Love, proving she can pull off a foreign accent. I am being faceitious about casting her in the role but I'm sure she could pull it off better than her former co-star Jude Law. Both are too old for the part of Tintin.

Tom Hanks with his bushy beard (as he was in Castaway) could pull off the foreign accent as Capt. Haddock. As a 2 time Oscar winner, most European audiences would forgive the casting of an American in the role. A younger Sean Connery would have great.

My choice however, would be Colin Farrell as the good Captain cast against a teenager cast as Tintin. After all, Colin can drink with the best of them.

Out of respect for Herge's Belgium heritage, hopefully, the studios will find a cameo for the "Muscles from Brussels", Jean Claude Van Dam.

To truly make it a Hollywood adaptation, a love interest will have to be written in for Tintin. Let the casting begin.

Cheers !
Tintinrulz
#38 · Posted: 24 Sep 2004 11:36
Gwenyth Paltrow as Tintin! I hope your joking! That sounds horrible.
She's too old and its just wrong!

As for Captain Haddock, Tom Hanks is officaly playing his part.
OJG
#39 · Posted: 24 Sep 2004 11:51
Tom Hanks as Captain Haddock? Please no. Yes, he's a very good actor, but as Captain Haddock?????????

Where did you hear about Hanks officially being cast, Tintinrulz?

I also think that Tintin should be played by a little-known actor, but maybe in his early 20s rather than late teens.
Tintinrulz
#40 · Posted: 24 Sep 2004 14:38
www.objectiftintin.com and some other French sites.

Page  Page 4 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15  16  Next » 

This topic is closed.