Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Lake of Sharks: General discussion

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

tintin_fanatic
#11 · Posted: 11 Jul 2004 11:21
I wasn't aware of the fact that Tintin and the Lake of Sharks was not written by Hergé, the book must be a disaster then!
jock123
#12 · Posted: 11 Jul 2004 11:53
tintin_fanatic:
the book must be a disaster then

I'm not sure it is a disaster, exactly, just not very good.

I could be being controversial here, but I actually think it is just part of the general decline in quality and originality towards the end, because I don't think Picaros really is that much bettter, and I can't imagine that Alph-Art would necessarily have been a classic either.

I agree that the movie book looks odd because of the style they have chosen; however the two books are otherwise frame-for-frame the same.
Harrock n roll
#13 · Posted: 11 Jul 2004 13:54
Lake of Sharks is the only book I don't have of the "official" adventures - I have the cartoon which is marginally better. And as said above, the unreleased Hergé-style version of the book looks infinitely better - but the whole saga is duff, to put it politely.

I also have to disagree with Jock's controversial statement that Picaros isn't much better. I think that although it's not one of his classics, it's far superior to Lake of Sharks. I also think Alph-Art could have been a classic - little point in debating that though, as we'll never know.
Frankymole
#14 · Posted: 16 Jul 2004 07:05
The question is, is the Studios Hergé version of the artwork still in existence? And if so has it been pirated?
jock123
#15 · Posted: 16 Jul 2004 12:52
The version we have is done by Studio Hergé; I think you are talking about the newspaper strip version.

There is no reason to believe that the newspaper version work isn't still around, barring un-knowables such as theft or damage.

It has been pirated, and coloured too (it was done for B&W strip publication in newspapers, I think).
GurraJG
#16 · Posted: 21 Jul 2004 14:27
I just picked up a Swedish copy of the book. First of, I don't think it's very good, but it's still fun to have in ones collection. Now, how do you tell the two editions apart? The one I bought is from '79. It's 44 pages long, with 3 strips per page. The pages are "normal" dimensions. So, which edition do you think I have?

-Gustav
Richard
UK Correspondent
#17 · Posted: 22 Jul 2004 17:28
The official edition uses painted backgrounds (as one would find in an animated cartoon), with the characters overlaid in flat colours. The pirated edition is all done with flat colours (like a standard Tintin album), including the backgrounds.
BlueBlisteringBarnacles
#18 · Posted: 16 Aug 2004 10:12
A strange point about the officially published Lake of Sharks is that it's shorter than the normal 62 page format, yet - having seen the film - they omitted many elements which to me improved the film, and made it a little more Tintin-like.

The version of the album I have seems very weak, with no real character other than shallow representations of Hergé's characters.
derdup
#19 · Posted: 7 Sep 2004 23:43
Hi everyone,

I was surprised to find at a local video rental outlet a DVD titled Tintin and the Mystery at Shark Lake.
I rented it and sure enough, it was the 1972 Belvision production which, until now, I hadn't seen. I'd always assumed this would be titled Tintin and the Lake of Sharks.

I suppose I can understand them attempting to bring a Tintin style adventure to the screen, but I'd say this one would have appeal for small children only.

One final observation - this was the English language version, and they'e managed to find someone not-of-this-planet to provide the voice of Captain Haddock. I swear the guy doesn't even sound human!?

-Harry
nestor
#20 · Posted: 8 Sep 2004 21:17
derdup:
they'e managed to find someone not-of-this-planet to provide the voice of Captain Haddock

Indeed! I wonder if the voices in the French version are any better?
I didn't mind the movie to be honest, it is definitely aimed at a younger audience.
I thought the main weakness was probably the adaptation into English - the same could be said for the Asterix the Gaul movie (which I love), but the voices in that more suited, in my opinion.

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!