Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Favourite Tintin Christmas cards

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Richard
UK Correspondent
#1 · Posted: 8 Jun 2005 13:00
As an offshoot from the Tintin & hieroglyphs thread (and since it's approaching summer this seems an appropriate topic) : what's your favourite Tintin Christmas card ? There's the selection of them here.

For me, it's a close call, but I'd have to say the medieval manuscript one, from 1966-67. It's reproduced as a full-page image in Tintin and the World of Hergé, both English and French editions. I also really like the 1986-87 illustration, of a 17th century Marlinspike - I wonder if that's from the pen of Hergé or Bob de Moor ? Either way it's great.

There's another one I'm fond of that I've uploaded here (since it's not on that gallery) showing the characters walking to Midnight Mass. The original's blue, but it looks clearer in black and white ; not sure what year.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 8 Jun 2005 13:42
It has to be the 1961-62 for me, ever since I first saw it. I love trompe l'oeil effects, and this is a particularly good example, IMHO.

As someone who has drawn his own cards for the last 25 years or so, I marvel at the versatility of all the Hergé collection, but I think he had a particularly fine spell from about 1958-67, when every year was outstanding.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#3 · Posted: 10 Jun 2005 17:51
Personally my favourites are the 1965-66 illustration of Christmas at Marlinspike (here) and the 1969-70 tree card (here) ... I also like the 17th century Marlinspike card, which Richard mentioned !
Karaboudjan
#4 · Posted: 11 Jun 2005 17:36
Bewildering seeing the gang dressed up as aristocratic fops (although there's something immensely appealing about La Castafiore in that sledge)...

I've seen numerous Tintin Xmas cards, many of which I've used as computer desktops over the festive season, but I have to side with Richard and say I really love the Midnight Mass one. Maybe it's because it's not overtly religious despite their destination- mock ups of the Nativity scene always strike me as being faintly creepy/disrespectful.
snafu
#5 · Posted: 12 Jun 2005 21:44
Here are my favorites:

http://www.gorianet.it/lecture/natale/imagepages/image76.html

http://www.gorianet.it/lecture/natale/imagepages/image78.html

http://www.gorianet.it/lecture/natale/imagepages/image67.html

More images can be found in this link:

http://www.gorianet.it/lecture/natale/

Unfortunately, when the next holiday season comes, I will not be able to use these links to greet all my friends because not everyone will be celebrating Christmas. Any suggestions?
jock123
#6 · Posted: 12 Jun 2005 23:21
snafu
Here are my favorites

You are veering off topic I think, snafu - two of those appear to be Christmas covers for the magazine, rather than the cards from the other gallery, which this thread is about. Your question might also be better raised in a separate thread in the Member’s Lounge.

However, thanks for bringing the covers to the attention of the group! A good find!
tintinspartan
#7 · Posted: 24 Apr 2007 13:39
Moderator Note: Moved from another thread

Well, I was looking for Tintin images when I stumbled on a Tintin image through Yahoo! Search and guess what Tintin's doing? Celebrating Christmas! I know the link bt could not publish it. Well, there are some pictures of Tintin praying, Giving presents to Haddock, putting up a christmas tree, dancing around the Christmas tree with some Herge' characters including Abdullah, Quick and Flupke, Jo, Zette, Jocko and The Thomsons, a fresco collage of Tintin characters and singing a carol with Calculus, Haddock and The Thompsons.

Well, they maybe perfect for Christmas if you're a Tintin fan. Well, i maybe too early for christmas, so just keep your fingers crossed.
Balthazar
#8 · Posted: 24 Apr 2007 14:09
Moderator Note: Moved from another thread

I think Hergé drew and printed a Tintin-themed Christmas card for sending to friends each year for many years. Some of these were published in Peeter Benoît's book on Hergé and Tintin, back in the 1980s or 90s (that's where I got that information from), and some have also been printed commercially as cards more recently , and sold in outlets such as the Tintin shop, I seem to recall.

The image of Tintin praying devoutly at a crib that Tintinspartan refers to does look pretty unusual, as I don't think there are any instances of him praying in the books. (Now someone wil find one and prove me wrong!)
Tintinrulz
#9 · Posted: 24 Apr 2007 17:25
I just presumed that Herge was implying that since he was Catholic, Tintin was also Catholic.
Balthazar
#10 · Posted: 24 Apr 2007 21:54
I'm not saying there's anything weird in itself about Tintin being portrayed praying on that Christmas card. Prayng is, of course, perfectly normal behaviour. I was just meaning that it stands out as unusual for Tintin because he displays so little religious behaviour in the books. We never see him praying, even on the not-infrequent occasions when he's about to be executed.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!