Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

Hergé: Works by him never published in English?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

jockosjungle
#1 · Posted: 12 Jul 2004 07:59
Having a browse through Abebooks and there seems to be quite a lot of stuff that has never been published in English done by Hergé, anyone got a complete list?

Off the top of my head I can think of about 12 Quick & Flupke books we've never seen.

Rik
jock123
#2 · Posted: 12 Jul 2004 11:25
There isn't that much, really, if you don't count his one panel cartoons for the Scouts etc.

The Adventures of Totor, Mister Mops and a story which I think had the word Cochonette (a balloon pig) in the title come to mind...

Some of the Q&F books could be the strips done by Johann de Moore after Hergé's death.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#3 · Posted: 12 Jul 2004 15:27
Yes when you think about it, in terms of what actually has been translated, we English-speakers have been pretty well served on the whole.
Now that we're (hopefully) about to see the black-and-white original versions of the earlier books, it seems that they're trying to cater for the archival side of Hergé as well, which can only be a good thing. I only wish it wouldn't take so long!

But where English-speakers are really disadvantaged are with all the reference works dedicated to Hergé and Tintin, especially when you consider the vast plethora of them that swamp the French market.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#4 · Posted: 12 Jul 2004 16:43
If it's a small consolation, Harry Thompson's excellent Hergé & His Creation has never been translated into French. Dutch, yes, but French - nope.
Jyrki21
#5 · Posted: 13 Jul 2004 04:53
I was just looking at Harry Thompson's book again now that I'm back in Vancouver...
I can confirm he was the one who said Alph-Art never would have made it as a Tintin album, and I dare say that his thoughts are probably more insightful than the other Tintinologists out there.

I really like Michael Farr's book, but I felt he was reluctant ever to be critical of Hergé.

Thompson, on the other hand, presents probably a more balanced view of Hergé's life, to the point of ridiculing some of the people who idolize him beyond all reason, all the while being a staunch fan himself.

Not having re-read more than a few snippets, I highly recommend it.
jockosjungle
#6 · Posted: 13 Jul 2004 07:49
Is Harry Thompsons book still available?

RIk
marsbar
#7 · Posted: 13 Jul 2004 07:54
The book is out of print, I believe. Anyhow, do check out this existing Harry Thompson thread.
midnightblueowl
#8 · Posted: 24 Oct 2005 20:15
Hello!
Ten of the twelve Quick and Flupke books were never translated into English, and neither were most of Hergé's early work, like Totor, C.P. les Hannotens (the Scout one), Monsieur Bellum, Monsieur Mops, or L'Extraordinaire Aventure de Flup, Nénesse, Poussette et Cochonnet.
Charles
#9 · Posted: 27 Oct 2005 08:31
Will the early color version of "The Black Island" ever be translated?
jock123
#10 · Posted: 28 Oct 2005 09:36
Charles
Will the early color version of "The Black Island" ever be translated?

Well that presumably depends on the success of the recent facsimiles, special books (e.g. Tintint at Sea) and Congo, really, but all things considered I think that there will be a time when the colour facsimiles make some sort of appearance in English.

However, there are no guarantees...!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!