Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Shooting Star: Why are Tintin and Snowy unaffected?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

motheroftintin
#11 · Posted: 29 Apr 2007 03:28
I know. The metal influences the ear and hearing system, sending faux signals to the maternal glands in one's body. Only people who heard an extremely loud, obnoxious noise can resist the metal. Tintin has already heard
http://www.music-opera.com/villedumois/villephotos_bruxelles/BIANCA%20 CASTAFIORE.jpg

so he can resist. [:
Golf Tango Fox
#12 · Posted: 22 May 2007 07:20
Tintinrulz,
None of the other organisms were native to the meteor either. They all came from Tintin's lunchbox.
This is a very good question & my theory is that organisms are only exposed to the mystery growth substance by travelling into the meteor's soil. The grub would have naturally burrowed into the meteor, the spider with no other protection could have done the same thing. The juice from the apple core could have seeped into the extraterrestial soil.
Another conclusion from this of course is that Tintin & Snowy don't dribble when they sleep.
Tintinrulz
#13 · Posted: 22 May 2007 07:24
Ah, that's very true, I forgot about that. Okay, just discount what I said altogether (ha, ha).
tuhatkauno
#14 · Posted: 22 May 2007 08:05
Now I got it, the solution is very simple and obvious.

Of course there is some kind of growth speeding substance in the meteor. And, causally thinking, one must absorb or suck it somehow to grow, we don't know how. BUT the growth subtance effects only during object's natural growing period. The seed, the catepillar and the baby spider grow because they are in their growing age. Tintin and Milou are fullgrown adults and that's why the substance doesn't have an effect on them. And furthermore the stuff makes something to grow faster and bigger but not endlessly.

Conclutions:
1) Labrador, the catepillar grows, not the butterfly.
2) Tintin is physically fullgrown in the Shooting Star.
3) Herge didn't make a mistake, he is the Great Infallible, the Beautiful Mind of Belgium and the Untamed Wind in a Young Girl's Hair

Sorry I felt bit pompous :)
Ranko
#15 · Posted: 22 May 2007 08:48
tuhatkauno
Untamed Wind in a Young Girl's Hair

I like the expression, tuhatkauno! ha ha ha! Brilliant!

BTW, thanks for the info on Finland. Most interesting.
pokemon
#16 · Posted: 29 Jun 2007 14:44
If I say that the meteorite's growing feature was not effective on living things such as Tintin and Snowy, then the question of the butterfly and the spider enlarging would arise.
I say that this is one of the errors which Hergé has created.
rupam
#17 · Posted: 18 Jun 2013 15:57
Maybe the meteorite was a portion of an alien planet, where trees, or something like trees, grew up at an incredible rate, and to enourmous size – and that's what caused its destruction...?
I mean, we saw a whole forest grew up in a matter of minutes, it caused the trees to grow up like viruses...

Moderator Note: Welcome to the forums! In order that everyone can understand what you are writing about, please use standard English spelling and punctuation when you post - it really does make things easier to read!
Your message has been edited to bring it in line with forum rules.

Many thanks!
The Tidy Tintinologist Team
calculite
#18 · Posted: 26 Jul 2013 09:41
Maybe the meteorite emits something that can only affect living things with not-very-complex nervous systems/brains. Both Tintin and Snowy, as a human and a dog, have fairly well developed brains and nervous systems. However, a spider, seed, and worm don't have very complex brains (a seed doesn't have a brain at all, but still).

Perhaps it is something like a dog whistle; an emission which only certain living things can perceive. This sound can only be recognized by living things with less complex brain structures. It probably isn't a sound frequency like with a dog whistle, but an invisible gas, maybe, that works on the same principle. (if it was a sound I guess it wouldn't work with trees).

This "substance" is maybe like a super steroid; it causes beings to grow rapidly. Perhaps as they grow, their brains get bigger and more complex, to a point where they can no longer be affected. This might be why the tree, spider, and butterfly stop growing at a certain point. Also the spider might be attacking Tintin because the spider is now smart enough to know that it can hurt him!

That's just my theory, there are probably mistakes and holes in it.
snowybella
#19 · Posted: 17 Mar 2017 12:33
Tintin didn't grow because he was wearing boots, but I'm not sure about Snowy. Maybe he didn't grow because he slept on the parachute, or he's an adult.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!